Dutch initiative for women’s sexual health raises $305 mn after Trump cut US fund
The She Decides initiative was launched in January after US President Donald Trump cut funding for such servicesUpdated: Jul 28, 2017 20:36 IST
The Dutch government says a campaign to raise funds for access to birth control, abortion and women’s sexual health programmes in developing nations has so far raised more than 260 million euros ($305 million).
The She Decides initiative was launched in January after US President Donald Trump cut funding for such services.
Lilianne Ploumen, the Dutch minister for foreign trade and development cooperation, announced the latest total on Friday, calling it “very good news for millions of women and girls in developing countries.”
A donor’s conference in Brussels in February raised just over 180 million euros, and Ploumen says the money has continued rolling in.
She said the pledges “show again that the international community will not abandon women in developing countries and will guarantee their basic right to family planning.”
First Published: Jul 28, 2017 20:36 IST