...
...
Next Story

New enrolments in KVs fall by 55,000 between 2020-21 and 2024-25: govt

Kendriya Vidyalayas' new enrolments dropped from 195,081 in 2020-21 to 139,660 in 2024-25, amid a 2.68% decline in total student numbers.

Published on: Jul 29, 2025, 09:40:19 IST
Advertisement

New enrolments in the Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs) have fallen from a level of 195,081 students in 2020–21 to 139,660 in 2024–25, according to the data shared by Union education ministry with Lok Sabha on Monday.

New enrolments in KVs fall by 55,000 between 2020-21 and 2024-25: govt
New enrolments in KVs fall by 55,000 between 2020-21 and 2024-25: govt

This fall has been accompanied by an overall reduction in the total number of students in these 1,280 central-government run schools from 1,387,763 in 2020-21 to 1,350,518 in 2024–25 , a 2.68% drop. In the same period, funds allocated to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) for managing and operating these schools have increased by 35.67%, the data showed.

Principals and teachers said the reduction in class strength and the removal of several admission quotas contributed in part to lower enrolments.

The data came in a response by Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan to questions by Telugu Desam Party (TDP) MP from Hindupur (Andhra Pradesh) BK Parthasarathy and Congress MP from Mayiladuthurai (Tamil Nadu) Sudha R regarding students strength in KVs.

In 2020-21, the data showed 195,081 new students were admitted, but, this fell to 182,846 in 2021-22 ––– a drop of 12,235 students. The downward trend continued in 2022-23 with new enrolments slipping further to 157,914, a fall of 24,932 students over the previous year. While there was a temporary rebound in 2023-24 with 175,386 new admissions –– an increase of 17,472 from the previous academic year, the number declined again in 2024–25 by 35,726 to 139,660 .

The data shared by Pradhan showed that the budgetary allocation of KVS increased from 6,437.68 crore in 2020-21 to 8,727 crore in 2024–25 –– an increase of 2,289.32 crore (35.67%).

In December last year, the central government approved the opening of 85 new KVs across the country and expansion of one existing KV in Shivamogga, Karnataka by adding two additional sections in all the classes at an estimated amount of 5,872.08 crore.

In 2022–23, along with a quota for Members of Parliament, KVS removed several quotas, including those for ministry of education staff, MPs’ families, retired KV employees, and discretionary quotas. In their place, new quotas were introduced for admission to 50 seats for children of Group B and C personnel from central police forces (CRPF, BSF, CISF, etc.) deployed in tense areas, based on a Union home ministry list.

Panjagala Anjaneyulu, in-charge of the admission committee at KV Kurnool said, “KVs do not take new admission in any class which already has 40 students. Apart from MP quota abolition, the reduction in fresh admission to 32 in 2024-25 resulted in fewer students joining KVs.”

.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sanjay Maurya

Sanjay Maurya is a Principal Correspondent with Hindustan Times, where he covers education, with a focus on school and higher education, competitive examinations, education policy and governance. Working as part of the National Bureau, he is based in New Delhi and reports on the Ministry of Education and covers various statutory bodies like UGC, AICTE and NCTE and autonomous bodies like CBSE and NCERT. His reporting also tracks the implementation of key government reforms and policies from school education to higher education including in IITs, NITs, IIMs, central and state universities, and their impact on students and educational institutions. His reporting on the irregularities and rushed implementation of CBSE's On-Screen Marking (OSM) system for evaluation of Class 12 board exams 2026, triggered administrative action, leading to the transfer of the board's two senior-most officials and the constitution of a committee to probe alleged irregularities in procurement process of the system. He joined Hindustan Times in December 2024. Prior to that, he had a three-year stint at Careers360, where he reported on school and higher education, entrance examinations, admissions, rankings and various education policies involving universities and professional education bodies. Over the years, Maurya has reported extensively on major developments in India's education sector, including the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, reforms in the National Testing Agency (NTA) following the NEET-UG 2024 controversy, changes in school education, higher education regulation, and the evolution of entrance examinations such as NEET, JEE and CUET. He regularly produces data-driven and explanatory stories based on government documents, parliamentary proceedings, court records and official data. His focus remains on helping readers understand how education policies and institutional decisions affect millions of students, teachers and educational institutions across the country.

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe