Bhutan, China hold expert group meeting on boundary dispute

The meeting was held against the backdrop of the dragging standoff between India and China in the Ladakh sector, which began almost a year ago
Representational image. (AFP)
Representational image. (AFP)
Published on Apr 09, 2021 02:57 PM IST
Copy Link

Bhutan and China have agreed to hold the much-delayed 25th round of bilateral boundary talks, almost five years after the last meeting was held and in the wake of a fresh claim by Beijing in the eastern sector that borders India’s Arunachal Pradesh state.

The agreement was reached at the 10th expert group meeting (EGM) on the Bhutan-China boundary issue that was held in Kunming during April 6-9, according to a joint statement issued by the two countries on Friday.

The meeting was held against the backdrop of the dragging standoff between India and China in the Ladakh sector, which began almost a year ago. At the height of the standoff, China claimed for the first time in July last year that it has a boundary dispute with Bhutan in the eastern sector, a region that borders Arunachal Pradesh, which is also claimed by Beijing.

Also Read | PM Modi, Xi Jinping on Joe Biden’s 40 leaders’ guest list for climate summit

The joint statement issued by Bhutan and China said: “The two sides agreed to hold the 25th round of Bhutan-China boundary talks and the 11th EGM as soon as possible at mutually convenient dates.”

The EGM discussed a roadmap to expedite the Bhutan-China boundary talks, the joint statement said without giving details.

Bhutan and China have held 24 rounds of talks between 1984 and 2016 to settle their border issue and, according to discussions in the Bhutanese parliament and other public records of these meetings, the discussions have only centred on disputes in the western and central sections of the boundary.

It couldn’t immediately be ascertained if China’s claim in the eastern sector with Bhutan – which was first raised in a statement issued to Hindustan Times by the foreign ministry in Beijing in July last year – had figured in the talks held in Kunming.

China had objected to a grant request for Sakteng wildlife sanctuary in eastern Bhutan’s Trashigang district at a virtual meeting of the Washington-based Global Environment Facility (GEF) in June last year. The sanctuary, located in the easternmost part of Bhutan, covers 650 sq km.

“The two sides agreed to continue to maintain peace and tranquillity in the border areas pending a final settlement of the boundary issue,” the joint statement said.

The EGM was held in a “warm and friendly atmosphere” and it had “in-depth and fruitful discussions on the boundary issue in keeping with the close ties of friendship and cooperation between Bhutan and China”, the joint statement said.

Boundary talks between Bhutan and China began in 1984, and the two sides signed the “Guiding Principles on the Settlement of the Boundary Issues” in 1988 and the “Agreement on Maintenance of Peace and Tranquillity” along border areas in 1998.

“These two agreements form the basis of the boundary negotiation between Bhutan and China,” the joint statement said.

The Bhutanese delegation at the EGM was led by Letho Tobdhen Tangbi, secretary of international boundaries, and the Chinese side was led by Hong Liang, director general of the department of boundary and ocean affairs of China’s foreign ministry.

Hong has also led the Chinese delegations that participated in several recent meetings of the India-China Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination (WMCC) on border affairs.

As a goodwill and friendship, the Chinese government donated personal protective equipment and medical supplies to support Bhutan’s fight against Covid-19.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • A TV screen shows a news program reporting about North Korea's missile launch with a file footage of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, at a train station in Seoul, South Korea, Wednesday.

    North Korea fires suspected ICBM and 2 other missiles, says Seoul

    South Korea's government says one of the three weapons North Korea launched Wednesday was a suspected intercontinental ballistic missile. North Korea's long-range missile program is aimed at obtaining an ability to launch nuclear strikes on the mainland U.S. South Korea's military earlier said North Korea fired three ballistic missiles off the North's east coast, resuming its weapons launches after about two weeks.

  • Former Pakistan's prime minister Imran Khan gestures during a press conference in Islamabad.

    Imran Khan demands dismissal of US diplomat over ‘bad manners’

    Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan called for the sacking of US Assistant Secretary of State for Central and South Asia, Donald Lu for his "sheer arrogance and bad manners". The ousted PM accused the American diplomat of threatening Pakistan's former ambassador to the US Asad Majeed as he doubled down on his claim of “foreign conspiracy” behind the regime change, Dawn reported citing Khan's interview with CNN.

  • US President Joe Biden.

    'We have to act,' : US President Joe Biden on gun restriction

    President Joe Biden struck a somber and serious tone, calling for new gun restrictions, in an address to the nation after 18 children were killed in a shooting at a Texas elementary school. Biden, whose lost both a son and a daughter, was joined by first lady Dr. Jill Biden at the White House on Tuesday night. Biden said, adding later, “It's time to act.” The 18-year-old gunman is dead.

  • Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif  (AFP)

    Pak stares at instability, Shehbaz’s woes mount

    New Delhi: Pakistan seems headed for long period of instability with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif facing a political challenge from his ousted predecessor Imran Khan, who is heading a long protest march to Islamabad on May 25, even as the country spirals into a deeper economic crisis (the Pakistani Rupee's free fall continues), with the Pakistan Army adopting a neutral stance.

  • A child looks on through a glass window from inside the Ssgt Willie de Leon Civic Center, where students had been transported from Robb Elementary School after a shooting, in Uvalde, Texas. 

    Texas shooting: Gunmen went to school after killing grandmom; 19 students dead

    In a horrific mass shooting in Texas, an 18-year-old gunman, identified as Salvador Ramos, killed 18 children and 3 adults at Robb Elementary School on Tuesday, barely 10 days after the Buffalo supermarket shooting. This is the deadliest attack since the 2018 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida, where 17 people were killed, according to CNN. Here is what we know about the Texas school shooting: 1. The shooting began around noon.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, May 25, 2022