G7 unveils rival to China’s BRI

Updated on Jun 27, 2022 05:45 AM IST
  • “Together with G7 partners, we aim to mobilise $600 billion by 2027 in global infrastructure investments,” the White House said shortly ahead of a speech by Biden unveiling the proposal.
President Joe Biden speaks and formally launches the global infrastructure partnership, on the margins of the G7 Summit in Elmau, Germany.(AP)
President Joe Biden speaks and formally launches the global infrastructure partnership, on the margins of the G7 Summit in Elmau, Germany.(AP)
Agencies |

US President Joe Biden announced on Sunday a G7 project to rival China’s Belt and Road Initiative by raising some $600 billion for global infrastructure programmes in poor countries.

“Together with G7 partners, we aim to mobilise $600 billion by 2027 in global infrastructure investments,” the White House said shortly ahead of a speech by Biden unveiling the proposal.

The plan, which relaunches a first attempt unveiled during last year’s G7, will target countries desperately needing everything from roads to harbours - and until now often relying on the Chinese.

The BRI project has successfully used Chinese infrastructure know-how to spread Beijing’s economic and diplomatic tentacles into strategic points around world, leaving Western governments flat-footed.

Biden, whose presidency is centred on restoring US leadership after the isolationist policies under Donald Trump, says his version will not only catch up but provide a better alternative.

Unlike the Chinese version, reliant on state-controlled funds and companies, Biden said the US and other G7 governments will only provide limited amounts of money, while incentivising massive private sector investments.

In this capitalist vs communist scenario, US officials say, recipient countries will be able to avoid the alleged debt traps and other strong-arm tactics used by the Chinese to extend their physical investments into a political and financial grip on vulnerable nations.

Between now and 2027, the United States government will shoot for the $600-billion figure “through grants, federal financing, and leveraging private sector investments,” the White House said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • A Taliban fighter stands guard on a bridge in Kabul, Afghanistan, 

    On completion of one year in power, Taliban says, “This day is the day of…”

    The Taliban marked a year in power on Monday with small-scale celebrations by the group's fighters as Afghanistan struggles with rising poverty, drought, malnutrition and fading hope among women that they will have a decisive role in the country's future. "This day is the day of the victory of truth over falsehood and the day of salvation and freedom of the Afghan nation," said Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid in a statement.

  • Heavy rains set off flash floods in Afghanistan; 31 dead

    Heavy rains set off flash floods in Afghanistan; 31 dead

    Heavy rains set off flash floods that killed at least 31 people and left dozens missing in northern Afghanistan, the Taliban's state-run news agency reported Monday. The Bakhtar News Agency said the flooding took place on Sunday in northern Parwan province. The province is ringed by mountainous and more often witnesses floods from heavy rains. The local weather department said more rains were expected in the coming days in most of Afghanistan's 34 provinces.

  • Indian-British author Salman Rushdie.

    Salman Rushdie's ‘feisty and defiant’ humour remains intact, says son

    Salman Rushdie is still in a critical condition, but his usual feisty and defiant sense of humour remains intact, his son has said, as the Mumbai-born author battles severe, life-changing injuries. Rushdie, 75, was taken off a ventilator on Saturday and could talk after he was stabbed on stage at a literary event in New York state on Friday.

  • An Iranian government official denied on Monday, Aug. 15, 2022, that Tehran was involved in the assault on author Rushdie.

    Tehran not involved in the assault on author Salman Rushdie, says Iran govt

    An Iranian government official denied on Monday that Tehran was involved in the assault on author Salman Rushdie, in remarks that were the country's first public comments on the attack. The comments by Nasser Kanaani, the spokesman of Iran's Foreign Ministry, come over two days after the attack on Rushdie in New York. His assailant, 24-year-old Hadi Matar, has pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from the attack through his lawyer.

  • File photo of South Korea's new president Yoon Suk-yeol.

    South Korea offers North economic benefits for denuclearization

    South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol on Monday offered “audacious” economic assistance to North Korea if it abandons its nuclear weapons program while avoiding harsh criticism of the North days after it threatened “deadly” retaliation over the COVID-19 outbreak it blames on the South. Yoon's televised speech on the liberation holiday came days after North Korea claimed a widely disputed victory over COVID-19 but also blamed Seoul for the outbreak.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, August 15, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now