Punjab education dept cancels agreement with society running 3 Adarsh schools

Published on Jun 06, 2020 12:34 AM IST
The decision comes after an inquiry conducted by a retired additional session judge BC Gupta found irregularities in the working of the society
HT Image
HT Image
Hindustan Times, Chandigarh | ByParteek Singh Mahal, Faridkot

The Punjab government has annulled an agreement with a private association, Sukhsagar Avenue Welfare Association, to administer three of its Adarsh Schools in Faridkot and Moga. The decision comes after an inquiry conducted by a retired additional session judge BC Gupta found irregularities in the working of the society. “It was found that the salary bills claimed by the society were not completely paid to the employees concerned and it was not operating schools following guidelines set under the PPP mode scheme,” the report states.

The schools in question are two Adarsh schools at Pacca village and Midu Maan village in Faridkot district and one Adarsh school at Ransih Kalan village in Moga district

Adarsh Schools provide free and quality education to the poor and needy in rural areas and operate under the Under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode, with private partners bearing 30% of the total expenses and the state school education department, the remaining 70%.

Director general school education Mohammad Tayyab said respective district education officers will now take control of the management of these schools. In addition to the irregularities found in the working of the school, Narinder Singh Randhawa, chairman, Sukhsagar Avenue Welfare Association is facing three criminal cases, including charges of raping a teacher and misappropriation of funds. He is also facing inquiries on allegations that he admitted ‘ghost’ students to get extra funds from the state.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • People enjoy an evening in the rain as sea waves lash the seashore at Marine Drive during high tide, in Mumbai, India, on July 07, 2022.

    IMD issues orange alert for Mumbai, high tide hits Marine Drive amid heavy rain

    The Indian Meteorological Department has issued orange alert for Mumbai and Thane, with intense to very intense rain predicted at isolated places in the region till 10am. As per IMD, intense to very intense rain with gusty winds reaching 40-50 kmph very likely at isolated places in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane, Palghar till 10 am today, reported ANI.

  • These students have challenged an alleged note of the Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) not considering the 2020-21 marks for entrance to professional courses in 2022. (REPRESENTATIVE PHOTO)

    Karnataka CET candidates challenge non-consideration of 2020-21 PUC marks

    Some students who passed the Pre-University Course in 2020-21 but are also writing the Common Entrance Test in 2022, have approached the High Court. These students have challenged an alleged note of the Karnataka Examination Authority not considering the 2020-21 marks for entrance to professional courses in 2022. A single-judge bench of SR Krishna Kumar heard the petition on Monday. The petition was filed by Keerthana Y H and a dozen other students.

  • The Chief Minister directed the Chief Secretary to conduct another round of meetings with the district administration. (ANI)

    Karnataka CM Bommai aims at hoisting 1 crore flags under Har Ghar Tiranga

    With the Centre's Har Ghar Tiranga campaign pacing up across the country, Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai reviewed the preparations across the state and said that the southern state aims to hoist 1 crore flags in Karnataka. Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai directed officials to make the 'Har Ghar Tiranga' campaign organized to mark the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav a success. The distribution of flags is already underway. Ministers Govind Karjol, V. Sommanna, C. C. Patil.

  • CM change in Karnataka might be on the cards, said ex-MLA B Suresh Gowda. (Image source: B Suresh Gowda/Twitter)

    Karnataka: BJP high command may take decision on CM change, says ex-party MLA

    Amid murmurs within the Karnataka BJP circles about the possibility of an overhaul in the party and the government ahead of the 2023 Assembly polls, former MLA B Suresh Gowda on Monday indicating about some changes said the high command will take a call on replacing the Chief Minister and other matters.

  • Delhi metro.

    Delhiwale: Final frontier

    The Yellow Line of Delhi Metro goes all the way from Samaypur Badli in the north to Green Park and Mehrauli in the south, to HUDA City Center in Gurugram. Now, the fiercely individualistic Gurugram has its own metro service. Rapid Metro originates from Cyber City and culminates at the evocatively named Sector 55–56 metro station.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, August 09, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now