‘Sports shouldn’t be a victim of politics’: Wasim Akram wants Pakistan youngsters to play IPL
When the Indian Premier League was launched in 2008, fans celebrated the fact that cricketers from several nations will play together in the same team.
Also Read | IPL 2020 Full Coverage
The first season saw the participation of players from Pakistan as the likes of Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Akhtar, Sohail Tanvir, and Umar Gul turned out for their respective franchises. However, that was also the last time any cricketer from Pakistan played the tournament. From the 2009 edition, the participation of Pakistani cricketers was banned due to political tensions between the nations.
This has led to several players from both nations missing out playing in their respective T20 leagues. The IPL has grown leaps and bounds with several cricketing nations putting special focus on the participation of their players in the league, Indian cricketers have maintained their distance from the Pakistan Super League.
While players from England, New Zealand, West Indies, or Australia have gained valuable experience while playing in the IPL, Pakistan youngsters have missed out. Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram is not happy with the fact that Pakistan youngsters are missing out on the chance to play in the IPL and in fact, wants to see Indian cricketers playing the PSL.
“I have always believed that sports shouldn’t be a victim of politics but that is a government subject of both countries and it won’t be apt for me to say anything. But as you said in the question itself, yes IPL is one of the most competitive domestic leagues in the cricketing world and I wish Pakistan youngsters get to be a part of it and I also wish to see Indian players playing in PSL,” Akram told ANI.
Akram also talked about the comparisons between Babar Azam and Virat Kohli, wishing the Pakistan captain to come a lot more consistent like his Indian counterpart.
“I wouldn’t like to make any comparison but having said that, I would like to add that Babar Azam is an exceptional talent, he has shown his excellence in all formats, but in patches. I would be very happy if he can see the comparison positively and becomes consistent in his performance like Kohli,” he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sundar and Thakur’s knocks were lauded by the entire cricketing fraternity with former Australia all-rounder Tom Moody highly impressed with their rearguard.
- India vs Australia: Each wicket is special for Hazlewood but the fast bowler is highly content with one dismissal in particular.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur's innings, on expected lines, seemingly got under the skin of Australia, with the fast bowler explaining that the opposition reacted by chirping away a few words at him.
- India vs Australia, 4th Test: Sundar made his debut in Brisbane and made an instant impact. Sundar picked up three wickets in the first innings with Steve Smith being his first wicket.
- Virat Kohli, R Ashwin, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Hanuma Vihari, KL Rahul, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar have all missed part of the Test series or the whole contest itself.
- India are already without two of their premier bowlers in Ashwin and Jasprit Bumrah in the Gabba Test, who have missed it due to back spasm and abdominal strain respectively.
- The impact of Dravid as the head of NCA has been applauded as it has resulted in India having quality players on the bench.