Bobby Deol's career took a new turn in 2020 with the release of Class of 83 and Aashram series.

Happy birthday Bobby Deol: When the actor would get irritated on being called 'behenji'

Happy birthday Bobby Deol: The actor had once narrated a funny incident from his childhood when people would mistake him for a woman over phone and address him as 'behenji' and how it would irritate him no end.
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 07:33 AM IST

Actor Bobby Deol had a golden run in 2020 even as much of the entertainment industry was bleeding due to the coronavirus pandemic. The actor saw a resurgence in his career with not just one but two releases on the OTT platforms - Netflix film, Class of 83, and MX Player original series, Aashram.

Playing author-backed roles, the actor won applause for essaying two very different roles. From playing an upright police officer struggling against an unforgiving system to essaying a conman, a religious preacher, Bobby showed his reach as an actor. For the longest time, since his debut in Barsaat (1995) he has mostly appeared in Bollywood-style romances or comedies. His career saw a major slump after 2013, only to show up in 2020.

Hailing from a prominent family, Bobby has had his fair share of struggle despite being a star kid. Over shadowed by his older brother Sunny and father, veteran actor Dharmendra, Bobby has taken a long time to break free of their influences and develop an identity of his own. In one of his older interviews, he had spoken about how, when was much younger, he had to struggle with his rather 'patli' (thin) voice. He mentioned how he would get irritated when people would called him 'behenji (sister)' over the phone.

Speaking to a portal about whether he had ever played a prank or made blank calls to people, Bobby recalled: "When I was a kid, meri awaaz bahot patli thi (my voice was rather thin and reedy). Obviously as you grow older and mature, your voice changes. But at that time whenever I would pick up the phone at home, people would presume I was a girl. They'd ask "Behenji, Dharamji hain ghar par?" and I used to get irritated initially. In hotels, you know, you can dial room numbers and can just talk. I used to call up people randomly, or if someone called, I'd just talk as if I was a lady, just to have some fun... bachpan ke dinn thhe woh (those were the days of my childhood)."

The actor will be seen next in Shah Rukh Khan's new production, Love Hostel. The film will also star Vikrant Massey and Sanya Malhotra. Bobby will also be seen in Apne 2, a family franchise that will also see Dharmendra, Sunny and Sunny's son, Karan Deol.

Speaking about the slump in his career, he had told Bollywood Hungama: “When you pity yourself, you will start cursing the world around you. That is what happened with me for two-three years. I started pitying myself and thought that no one wants to work with me so I relied on alcohol. I started numbing myself and then one day I realised where I was wrong when I saw it in my kids’ eyes that our father stays home all day long.” He added, “I saw the same emotion in my mother and wife’s eyes too, so something in me changed and I realized that if I want to move forward, I cannot wait for someone else to do it, I will have to walk myself. That is when I started working on myself and I have been so busy in the last two-three years.”

Follow @htshowbiz for more

Topics

Related Stories

Apne 2 will star Karan Deol with Dharmendra, Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol.
Apne 2 will star Karan Deol with Dharmendra, Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol.

Apne 2: Karan Deol joins family franchise with Dharmendra, Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol, see motion poster

By Agencies, Mumbai
UPDATED ON NOV 30, 2020 12:56 PM IST
Three generations of Deol family are all set to star in Apne 2. Dharmendra will be joined by sons Sunny and Bobby, and grandson Karan Deol.
Bobby Deol plays Baba Nirala in Aashram.
Bobby Deol plays Baba Nirala in Aashram.

Bobby Deol overwhelmed with love for Aashram: ‘Never thought such a negative role will get me such positive response’

By HT Entertainment Desk | Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON NOV 19, 2020 01:01 PM IST
Bobby Deol, who played a self-styled godman with shades of grey in the MX Player series Aashram, thanked the audience for giving the show and his character so much love.
Pooja Bhatt in Bombay Begums.
Pooja Bhatt in Bombay Begums.

Pooja Bhatt, on the cusp of an acting comeback, reveals why she took a step back

UPDATED ON MAR 06, 2021 09:04 PM IST
  • Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.
Elnaaz Norouzi will be next seen in Sangeen.
Elnaaz Norouzi will be next seen in Sangeen.

Elnaaz Norouzi: I don’t care about whether my projects release on OTT or cinemas

By Juhi Chakraborty
PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 08:46 PM IST
Actor Elnaaz Norouzi says that for her it is all about the right script and if a project is good then everybody will watch it.
Actor Tabu will be seen next in the film Bhool Bhulaiya 2.
Actor Tabu will be seen next in the film Bhool Bhulaiya 2.

Tabu: I am sure we will return to a place where we can go and work fearlessly

By Rishabh Suri
PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 08:31 PM IST
Actor Tabu talks about getting back to work amid the Covid 19 pandemic, and waiting it out before signing more projects after Bhool Bhulaiya 2.
Janhvi Kapoor poses with father Boney, sister Khushi, and half-siblings Arjun and Anshula Kapoor.

Arjun promises to support Janhvi's always; Anshula says 'sisters before misters'

UPDATED ON MAR 06, 2021 08:33 PM IST
  • Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
Taimur Ali Khan turned big brother in February as Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan welcomed their second child.

Kareena recaps first year on Instagram in nostalgic post, but fans want baby pic

UPDATED ON MAR 06, 2021 07:23 PM IST
  • Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
Janhvi Kapoor will be seen next in Roohi.
Janhvi Kapoor will be seen next in Roohi.

Janhvi Kapoor reveals the most important life lesson mom Sridevi imbibed in her

PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 06:54 PM IST
  • Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
Ranveer Singh shares a childhood photo featuring Rohan Shrestha.
Ranveer Singh shares a childhood photo featuring Rohan Shrestha.

Ranveer Singh wishes Rohan Shrestha happy birthday with unseen throwback pic

PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 06:04 PM IST
  • Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
A video of actor Gul Panag at the farmers' protest is being widely shared online. (HT_PRINT)

Gul Panag hailed for refusing to answer question about Kangana: 'Take my smile'

PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 05:54 PM IST
  • "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
Actor Kangana Ranaut. (Satyabrata Tripathy/HT Photo)(HT_PRINT)
Actor Kangana Ranaut. (Satyabrata Tripathy/HT Photo)(HT_PRINT)

Kangana admits she's having 'bad day of cramps' after lashing out at Taapsee

UPDATED ON MAR 06, 2021 05:48 PM IST
  • Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap on the sets of Dobaaraa.
Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap on the sets of Dobaaraa.

Swara, Richa stand in support of Taapsee and Anurag after I-T raids

UPDATED ON MAR 06, 2021 06:14 PM IST
  • Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
Sridevi died before Janhvi Kapoor could make her film debut.
Sridevi died before Janhvi Kapoor could make her film debut.

When Janhvi had revealed how mom Sridevi never wanted her to be in the movies

UPDATED ON MAR 06, 2021 05:09 PM IST
  • Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.
Ranbir Kapoor played an old man in a recent TVC.
Ranbir Kapoor played an old man in a recent TVC.

See Ranbir Kapoor's transformation into an old man in these BTS photos

PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 04:30 PM IST
  • New behind-the-scenes photos from the sets of an advertisment capture Ranbir Kapoor's transformation into an old man.
Rhea Chakraborty and her brother Showik Chakraborty were arrested on drugs-related charges by the NCB last year.(Varinder Chawla)

Rhea's lawyer says they'll have 'last laugh', calls charge sheet 'damp squib'

PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 04:05 PM IST
  • Actor Rhea Chakraborty's lawyer Satish Maneshinde has called the 12000-page charge sheet filed by the Narcotics Control Bureau in the Sushant Singh Rajput's death case a 'damp squib'.
Gauahar Khan's father died on Friday.
Gauahar Khan's father died on Friday.

Gauahar Khan shares video of her father, a day after his death

PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 04:02 PM IST
  • Gauahar Khan has shared a video of her father, recalling the 'most favourite memory' of her life. The actor's father died on Friday.
Nafisa Ali made her film debut with Shashi Kapoor's Junoon in 1979. in 2018, she was diagnosed with cancer.

Nafisa Ali digs out stunning throwback pics from when she was 20, see here

PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 03:11 PM IST
  • Actor and politician Nafisa Ali has shared some glorious pictures from her youth. Needless to say, she looks beautiful in them. Check them out here.