‘Dead’ man comes alive at Mumbai hospital mortuary
Authorities at a Mumbai hospital were stunned to discover that a 50-year-old homeless man wheeled into the mortuary after being declared dead was still alive.
Officials at the hospital in Sion area have ordered a probe into the incident that occurred on Sunday afternoon.
Suleman Merchant, dean of the hospital, said, “The patient was on a stretcher and his face and ear was infested with maggots, usually seen in decomposed bodies. He was apparently picked up from a bus stop at Sion.”
He added: “His pulse and heartbeat were absent. The patient also had fixed dilated pupils, a condition common in patients who are close to death. This could have led the doctor to believe that the patient was dead.”
The man, identified only as Prakash, was brought to the hospital by policemen who insisted he was dead. He was sent to the mortuary for an autopsy. An attendant at the mortuary realised the man was alive after he detected some movement.
Doctors resuscitated the man for 15 minutes and shifted him to the hospital’s medical intensive care unit. The man is recuperating but continues to be in a delirious state caused by severe intoxication.
Blaming the police for the error, Merchant said, “As police officers were on bandobast duty, instead of bringing the patient inside, they asked the doctor to examine him outside the casualty.
“Our casualty medical officer got intimidated by the police presence. The police kept telling the doctor the patient was dead and insisted he certify him urgently.”
Deputy commissioner of police Dhananjay Kulkarni said police were looking into the allegations of lapses by policemen. “Based on the findings of the investigation, the further course of action will be decided,” said a police officer.
When a patient is declared dead by a medical officer, the body is usually kept in the casualty section or a ward for about two hours – known as the cooling off period.
“In this case, the casualty was full and so the body was sent to the mortuary, where it would have been kept for two hours. The patient is receiving the best possible care,” said Merchant.
He said doctors treat about 188,000 patients every year in the hospital’s casualty ward.
“After this incident, we have realised that in such odd cases, we need to perform an ECG to check the heartbeat before declaring a person dead. We are coming up with a protocol to avoid such incidents in the future. No action has been initiated against the casualty officer,” said Merchant.
Mumbai: Two incidents of robberies were reported in two churches in Mumbai this week. St Anne's Church at Nesbit Road in Mazgaon was robbed of cash and offerings on August 9, while another theft was reported at St Joseph's Church in Vikhroli on August 7. So far, the police has not filed any FIRs on the incident. Barret also said that the donations made for the poor were stolen.
Mumbai: Bharatiya Janata Party national president JP Nadda on Friday announced the appointment of Bandra MLA Ashish Shelar as the party's Mumbai unit chief. OBC leader Chandrashekar Bawankule was named the head of the Maharashtra BJP. Party national general secretary Arun Singh issued a letter from Delhi to announce the appointments. Shelar is second term MLA from Bandra and had a short stint as school education and sports minister in the Fadnavis government in 2019.
A team of Indian astronomers led by Dr Surajit Paul of the Savitribai Phule Pune University has discovered extremely aged 'fossil lobes' of a once active radio galaxy. The pair of gigantic lobes of the radio galaxy spanning 1.2 million light-years is located inside the galaxy cluster Abell 980, and was formed about 260 million years ago.
Kanpur: Prisoners of Fatehgarh Central Jail gifted the national flags they made to their sisters who had come to tie rakhi on their wrists on Friday. The 1017 women then came out carrying the Tricolours, raising the slogan 'Bharat Mata ki Jai'. Jail superintendent Bhimsen Mukund said the gesture of prisoners of gifting the flags to their sisters turned the atmosphere in the jail patriotic.
The second merit list for First Year Junior College (FYJC) online centralised admissions declared by the Director of Education (Secondary and Higher Secondary), Pune, on Friday sees drop in cut-off lists of top 10 colleges. The cut-off of Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce which was 95 per cent in the first round has dropped to 94.60 per cent for commerce stream. For the academic year, 104,047 students registered for Class 11 admissions till now.