5 things that prove ’80s fashion is back: Masaba Gupta
Trends that were huge in the 80s - ruffle gowns, power suits, crop tops - are in vogue again. Don’t believe us? Here’s proofHT48HRS_Special Updated: Sep 07, 2016 12:49 IST
1) Mirrored sunglasses: Clichéd interpretations of ‘the future’ were a large part of the pop culture landscape during the ’80s, and reflective, mirrored sunglasses played into that in a big way. Well, guess what, we’re in the future now, as is the trend.
2) Power suits: The crisp suit with sharp shoulders was a mega trend among businesswomen of the ’80s, worn by the likes of actor Michelle Pfeiffer back in the day. Closer home, Sonam Kapoor and Deepika Padukone have been donning them with élan. Sport a well-tailored suit at a business meeting or formal event and watch heads turn.
3) Slogan T-shirts: Ubiquitous in the ’80s, graphic tees are now everyone’s wardrobe staple. No airport style diary is complete without a fun slogan T-shirt.
4) Ruffle gowns: Get ready to channel your inner Jane Austen romantic.Considered too girly or dated for decades, we’re seeing a ruffle resurgence, thanks to international designers like Ralph & Russo and Balmain, and Shantanu & Nikhil on the home turf.
5) Crop tops: Madonna’s midriff-baring staple — one of the biggest trend in the ’80s — is back and how. Everywhere you go, be it a music festival or a Sunday brunch, you will definitely see a woman or two sporting a crop top.
Masaba Gupta is a leading fashion designer. She tweets as @MasabaG