Alia Bhatt helps light up 40 houses in Karnataka with solar energy, see pics
When she entered the industry with Karan Johar’s Student of The Year, much was said about how Bollywood promotes family over talent. With time, however, Alia Bhatt has proved her mettle as an artist, thanks to films like Highway, Udta Punjab and Raazi. After helping Aamir Khan’s Paani Foundation, Alia has now shown everyone that she also has a heart of gold with a new project to help brighten up villages with solar lights.
Mi Wardrobe is Su Wardrobe,a campaign Alia Bhatt launched earlier this year at the Stylecracker Night Market, enables fans to buy handpicked favourites from her personal closet, for charity.
Recently, the proceeds from this first wardrobe were used to light up homes of 40 families in Kikkeri village of the Mandya district of Karnataka, through the Liter Of Light program which is run by Bengaluru based organisation, AROHA. Through this program AROHA recycles plastic bottles to provide solar lamps to economically backward communities that have limited or no access to electricity.
Speaking about the project, Alia said, “So many families in India continue to live in darkness and Liter of Light’s eco-friendly solar lamps are an innovative and sustainable way to light up homes. They work with local communities, using locally sourced materials to assemble and install the lamps, thus empowering the community and improving the quality of life. The project in Kikkeri will benefit 200 lives and through Mi Wardrobe is Su Wardrobe we plan to work with many such organisations, creating a brighter future for many more.”
The project was also supported by Standard Electricals, a brand of Havells India Ltd.
On the work front, Alia was recently seen in Meghna Gulzar’s Raazi in which her work was widely appreciated and the film also went ahead to become one of the top grossers of 2018. She will new be seen in Zoya Akhtar’s Gully Boy featuring Ranveer Singh.
Alia is currently working on Ayan Mukerji’s Brahmastra which also stars rumoured boyfriend Ranbir Kapoor, Mouni Roy and Amitabh Bachchan and Kalank starring Varun Dhawan, Madhuri Dixit, Sanjay Dutt and more.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Priyanka Chopra has said that she regrets endorsing fairness creams in India, but as a child she believed that dark skin wasn't pretty and would put talcum powder on her face.
- Pictures from Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal's sangeet function have been shared online by Zoa Morani. Check them out here.
- New pictures from Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal's mehendi ceremony have arrived online. Check them out here.
Akshay Oberoi: We lucked out as there were no Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar sort of big films releasing in 2020
Republic Day special | John Abraham: Honesty in playing a person who cares for his country comes naturally to me
- Varun Dhawan's wife, Natasha Dalal, got her wedding makeup done in 35 minutes, artist Namrata Soni has said.
- On the second anniversary of Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi, Kangana Ranaut has accused the movie 'mafia' of launching negative campaigns against her and the film.
- Remo D'Souza has shared a video of himself, dancing with his doctors, after recovering from a heart attack recently.
- Varun Dhawan's Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania and Badrinath Ki Dulhania director, Shashank Khaitan, has some advice for the actor's wife, Natasha Dalal.
- Late actor Irrfan Khan's son, Babil, has said that he has no interest in doing films that make ₹100 crore but have no artistic value.