How did Dhadak trailer hold up against Sairat? Twitter is awash with hilarious memes
The first trailer for Karan Johar’s Dhadak released on Monday and some people seem disappointed. The film, which is a remake of critically acclaimed Marathi film Sairat, is being criticised for its overt Bollywood-ism and for casting two star kids in the lead role.
Dhadak, which stars late actor Sridevi’s daughter Janhvi Kapoor and Shahid Kapoor’s half brother Ishaan Khatter, is not likely to feature the caste politics angle. While Sairat is among the few Indian films which bravely portrayed a boy and girl falling in love across caste lines and paying the price that India’s deeply divided society demands, Dhadak, at least by the trailer, looked like a rich girl-poor boy love story and Sairat fans are not buying it.
At the trailer launch of Dhadak, Karan Johar described his film as Sairat’s adaptation, “When you adapt a film from a brilliant source material, you always know that no matter what you do and try, there will be comparisons. But all you can do is pay homage to that film.” Film’s lead Ishaan Khatter described it as a fresh take on Sairat.
“Regional cinema is soulful, it captures the dialect & earthen humor so well. A Bollywood remake is almost a parody by ham actors and a khichdi of local dialect and Hindi,” Twitter user @RoflGandhi_ wrote in a tweet. “After watching this trailer my respect for sairat actors has reached its peak!! I mean these starkids must have been through so many acting tutorials, guidance by some legendary actors yet the simplicity, rawness is missing!,” user @Shrddha8 wrote in her tweet.
A few Twitter users also made memes comparing Sairat to a cheaper, less appealing lookalike. Check them out:
Dhadak is directed by Shashank Khaitan and will release on July 20.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter and dropped a vague description of a man who she believes is running a social media smear campaign against her.
- Swara Bhasker lashed out at a man who made an unsavoury comment about her being on the cover of Vogue magazine. She called him a "pretentious half-wit pretending to be ‘elite’".
- Rohan Shrestha's father, Rakesh Shrestha, said that he would be very happy if his son and Shraddha Kapoor decide to get married.
- Rakesh Roshan took to social media and revealed he received the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine shot. He also pointed out the uniqueness of the day.
- Alia Bhatt took to Instagram and shared new production pictures from the upcoming movie Brahmastra. The actor stars with Ranbir Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan in the movie.
- Actor Hazel Keech, the wife of cricketer Yuvraj Singh, announced that she is going on a social media detox. She said that she will be back but 'not too soon'.
- Kangana Ranaut is 'thrilled' to know how she is 'awesome at everything' she does. On Thursday, she shared photos of her smoothie bowl, after many claimed that she had pulled the picture off the internet.
- Parineeti Chopra has unveiled the teaser of her upcoming film Saina. She plays badminton player Saina Nehwal in the film.