This is how Rajiv Bhatia became Akshay Kumar
While it is believed that Akshay Kumar, who has completed 25 years in Bollywood, started his B-Town journey with Saugandh (1991), not many know that the actor’s first appearance on the silver screen was in film-maker Mahesh Bhatt’s 1987 film Aaj. He played a karate instructor in the movie and had a 10-second role. The film is also special for the actor because he got his screen name, Akshay Kumar (his real name is Rajiv Bhatia), from this movie, which starred Kumar Gaurav in the lead role.
A source close to Akshay (he will next be seen in his 125th film, Tinu Suresh Desai’s next), says, “His name, Akshay, has a direct connect with his first-ever film. Gaurav’s name in the movie was Akshay. He loved the name so much that he decided to adopt it as his official name.” Although the Bollywood star loves his birth name, Rajiv, he felt that Akshay would be a more suitable name for his hero avatar in Bollywood. “He loved the way the name sounded,” adds the source.
When contacted, Akshay, who is currently vacationing with his family in New York, USA, didn’t deny the news and sent a smiley through a text message.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Videos of Shraddha Kapoor dancing at her cousin Priyaank Sharma's wedding in the Maldives are going viral on the internet.
- Alia Bhatt was seen in a bridal avatar in her new advertisement. Fans loved it and wished to see her get married in real life too. She is in a relationship with Ranbir Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.
- Sharing how meeting a girl at an education programme led her to discover her bisexuality, Shonali Bose says, 'I hope, the youth today doesn’t have that shame'.
- Film producer Rhea Kapoor got love from a number of Bollywood beauties including Kareena Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Karisma Kapoor on her birthday.