Murder over public urination: DU student, minor held for killing e-rick driver
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2019-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Murder over public urination: DU student, minor held for killing e-rick driver

Delhi University student Shekhar Kapasia was arrested from Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh for murder of e-rickshaw driver Ravinder Singh. He led Delhi Police to his 17-year-old accomplice in north campus.

delhi Updated: Jun 01, 2017 10:58 IST
Karn Pratap Singh
Karn Pratap Singh
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Public Urination,e-rickshaw murder,driver murdered
E-rickshaw driver Ravinder Kumar had just begun to eat when he spotted two students urinating in public near GTB Metro Station in north Delhi. (HT Photo)

A 19-year-old BA second-year student of Delhi University’s (DU) Sri Aurobindo College was arrested and a minor boy apprehended on Wednesday in connection with the murder of 32-year-old e-rickshaw driver Ravinder Kumar on Saturday.

Ravinder was brutally beaten to death by a group of 12-15 youngsters in full public view allegedly after he asked two of them to use a public toilet instead of urinating in the open near GTB Metro station.

Rajesh Khurana, joint commissioner of police (northern range), said the DU student, identified as Shekhar Kapasia, was arrested from his native home in Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh. His interrogation led to the apprehension of the 17-year-old boy from Delhi University’s north campus area. The teenager is preparing for Staff Selection Commission (SSC) exams from a private institute in Mukherjee Nagar.

“We have identified five more people, who were involved in the blind murder case. Raids are being conducted by our teams to nab the absconding attackers,” said Khurana adding Shekhar and the teenager were the same youngsters with whom Ravinder had an altercation over open urination.

Khurana, however, refused to elaborate on the exact sequence of events that led to Ravinder’s murder. Earlier, DCP (northwest) Milind Dumbre said that Ravinder stopped the two youths from urinating in the open.

The joint CP said that after questioning the youth they learnt that Ravinder had an argument with them over urinating in open around 1.30 pm. “The altercation turned abusive to an extent that the two teenagers took it personally and developed animosity against the e-rickshaw driver. The two left as Shekhar had to appear in the examination,” said the joint CP.

An investigator said that before entering the examination hall at Kirori Mal College, Shekhar asked the teenager to inform their friends about the brawl and team up with them to settle scores in the evening. Shekhar met them in the evening and together they returned to the spot where he had an verbal argument with Ravinder who was still there.

“Some of them were armed with knuckles. One was swinging a towel that had wrapped large stones inside. On spotting Ravinder, they began attacking him with knuckles and stones wrapped in the towel without a warning. They did not speak anything, only kept thrashing him for two-three minutes. He fell in a pool of dirty water but they were relentless,” said Manoj, another e-rickshaw driver, who was present at the spot.

Manoj and other e-rickshaw drivers tried to save Ravinder but the attackers thrashed them as well. Manoj somehow saved himself and ran to call Ravinder’s family. By the time Ravinder’s brothers and mother reached the spot, the attackers fled. Ravinder died on the way to hospital.

A case was registered and investigation was taken up. The police found a CCTV footage in which the two teenagers were seen buying beer bottles from a liquor shop near the Metro station. The two consumed beer and started urinating on the roadside, holding beer cans in their hands. Ravinder had barely begun eating his lunch when he noticed the two and asked them to use the public toilet, located a few steps away. This led to an argument.

During the probe, the police found another e-rickshaw driver who had dropped the two outside the Kirori Mal College. Investigators showed photographs of the suspects seen in the CCTV footage to the college staff and learnt that Shekhar had appeared in an exam on that day.

“We further learnt that Shekhar lived in a rented house in north Delhi’s Sant Nagar. The house, however, was locked and Shekhar was missing. He was finally tracked down to Muzaffarnagar,” the officer said.

First Published: Jun 01, 2017 10:44 IST