Puneet Issar: All the actors from Mahabharat are stuck in their image from 30 years ago, but I kept breaking my image
This year is already looking quite busy for actor Puneet Issar, who is juggling film shoots, stage performances, his next directorial venture and awaiting the release of his films.
“I just came back from the shoot of The Kashmir Files, that will release along with Jayeshbhai Jordaar. I am making another film. It has been a good journey for me so far,” says Issar, adding that he has been constantly working amid the pandemic.
The actor, who rose to fame after portraying the role of Duryodhan in the epic TV series Mahabharat, says the key to stay relevant is to keep “reinventing”.
The 61-year-old explains, “I had to change with the time. I never stuck to my image. I broke it constantly. That’s why you see the other Mahabharat actors, woh wahi pe reh gaye hain, 30 saal purane ussi jagah pe hain. But I kept breaking my image. That is why I am still working actively.”
The actor further points how even in his film journey, he has never stuck to one genre.
“I played the villain in many films but I also did a Border (1997) in which I played a zinda dil Army man. I changed mode throughout my career. I also directed a film Garv: Pride & Honour (2004) with Salman (Khan). I started doing theatre in 2015 Raavna ki Ramayan. I went and did a reality show, that was a big change for me. I also wrote and directed a play which is Mahabharat from Duryodhan’s perspective. I like accepting new challenges, exploring newer territories,” explains Issar.
Issar says these are the reasons why people still think of him and cast him in projects.
“One has to change and adapt to newer generation, newer techniques. Acting is a craft that does not change but the approach changes. People want actors to perform very naturally these days. There is no need for jingoism, no special pauses in dialogues.It is now about how we normally talk during a conversation. I had to tweak and adjust to these changes and I did,” he concludes.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sunny Leone 'found' husband Daniel Weber wearing nothing but a strategically placed hat, and decided to shoot a video of him for her Instagram followers.
- The trailer for Flight, a new film starring Mohit Chadda, has been released. Watch here.
- Shabana Azmi shared a rare throwback picture from the golden era. While there are number of well-known faces in the picture, she mentioned how she failed to recall who the Soviets were in the picture.
- A video of Shraddha grooving to Stree song Kamariya during her birthday celebrations in Maldives has appeared online.
- Ibrahim Ali Khan attended the wedding of Punjab CM Amarinder Singh's granddaughter recently, and pictures of him having a good time have surfaced online.
- Priyanka Chopra and mother Madhu Chopra were recently spotted taking a walk on a London street. The actor is in the UK for the shooting of spy series, Citadel.
- Tiger Shroff, mom Ayesha Shroff, sister Krishna Shroff and rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani came together for the actor's birthday dinner.
- Shraddha Kapoor turns 34 on Wednesday and to celebrate we are revisiting the time she told her father, Shakti Kapoor, how proud she was of him.
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.