Drug lord El Chapo to foray into fashion with clothing line
Notorious drug lord El Chapo, who was convicted last month, is foraying into the world of fashion with his own clothing line, slated for release this summer.
Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman, signed a contract from his cell in a Manhattan federal prison recently, which grants the rights to his name and signature to a limited liability company (LLC) headed by his wife and former beauty queen, Emma Coronel, reports CNN. The company, under which the clothing line will be launched, is officially named El Chapo Guzman-JGL LLC.
He was convicted on drug-related charges last month after a three-month-long trial. Guzman was found guilty on all 10 criminal counts- including those on money laundering and distribution of narcotics like heroin-against him by a US federal court in February. The 61-year-old Mexican drug lord gained notoriety as the head of the infamous, murderous Sinaloa cartel for several years and is known to have escaped prison several times.
“I’m very excited to start this project, which was based on ideas and concepts that my husband and I had years ago. It is a project dedicated to our daughters,” Coronel told CNN.
However, Guzman will not receive a single penny from his latest, legitimate enterprise, according to one of his attorneys Michael Lambert.
“He wanted to be able to set something up-a legitimate enterprise-for the benefit of his wife and his two daughters. He loves his wife and he loves his daughters, and he wants to prepare for the future,” Lambert said.
The designs for the line are “already in progress,” according to Guzman’s attorney Mariel Colon Miro. The merchandise will include baseball caps, T-shirts, jean jackets, sweatshirts, and phone cases.
“It’s very important for Emma and for the board of the company that it stays as much as possible in Mexico to help the Mexican economy and create more opportunities and work,” he added.
Under Guzman, the Sinaloa cartel smuggled hundreds of tonnes of narcotics to wholesale distributors in Arizona, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, and New York.
He was believed to have used hitmen to carry out murders, kidnappings, and assaults on international political leaders and rivals.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Leaving fans hooked with her saree chronicles, Janhvi Kapoor serves another sensuous look from Manish Malhotra’s collection in an ivory-coloured six yards of elegance as she promotes her upcoming film ‘Roohi’ on Day 4
- Vidya Balan recently dolled up for an e-interview and we love everything about retro-chic vibe. From her dove grey asymmetric kurta to smart narrow pants, we can’t wait to recreate the delightful silhouette as we walk into spring-summer
- Want to set mercury soaring when going for lunch or an evening out? Take fashion cues from Aditi Rao Hydari’s romantic steamy look for The Girl on The Train promotions in a pink strappy twisted bustier teamed with wide-leg pants that look flirty enough to add drama to our summer closet
- Kriti Sanon recently gave us outfit goals as she stepped out in a bodycon denim romper with white accessories for casual outing. We can't help but marvel at the choices of the fashionista.
- For her much anticipated interview with the media mogul, Oprah Winfrey, Meghan Markle wore a black silk dress and showed that she knows how to do maternity fashion right.
- Janhvi Kapoor recently stepped out in an ethereal flowy dress for a promotional event of her upcoming film Roohi. The dress that is worth ₹22k is one of our favourite looks donned by the actor.
- For a recent shoot, Kiara Advani wore a beautiful bralette and skirt co-ord set. The Kabir Singh actor made it clear that summer is here in her matching attire and we love it.
- Erica Fernandes has been serving one steamy look after another during her stay at the Maldives, be it in a powder blue bodysuit or acid wash bustier-skirt and fashionistas can’t help but take notes to slay at the next beach vacation