National Girl Child Day: Theme, importance, significance
India celebrates National Girl Child day each year on January 24. The day is an initiative of the ministry of women and child development and focuses on the need to address the challenges that girls face in Indian society due to gender biases. The purpose of the day is also to change the attitude of society towards girls.
Here’s everything you need to know about National Girl Child Day:
1. The initiative was started by the ministry of women and child development in 2008. The objective of celebrating the day is to highlight the inequalities faced by girls in the country, promote awareness about the rights of a girl child and generate awareness on the importance of girl education, health and nutrition.
2. Various events are organised all across the country to celebrate the day. To mark National Girl Child Day, the government organises awareness campaigns under Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (Save the girl child, Educate the girl child) scheme.
3. According to a government press release, National Girl Child day 2021 is being celebrated across the country with the objective of raising awareness on the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR). The celebrations will also mark the anniversary of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme.
4. Punjab has announced January 2021 to be the "month of the girl child". The scheme Dheeiyan Di Lohri has also been launched.
5. The Odisha government will honour individuals and organisations who have worked towards mitigating child marriage on the National Girl Child Day.
6. Madhya Pradesh will celebrate National Girl Child Day with the theme of "Aware girl child, Able Madhya Pradesh" under the scheme Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao. From January 24 to 30, the state will also observe the National Girl Child week.
7. Last year's theme for National Girl Child Day was "My Voice: Our Equal Future" and in 2019, it was "Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow".
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The observations from the Union health ministry come a day after the country reported the largest single-day increase in new Covid-19 infections in two months.
- Smriti Irani says, "I’m the only female politician who’s also recognised by her former vocation. I recognise the bias in that."
- An official said that both Houses could meet at 11 am from the second week following the vaccination of eligible MPs.
- A suicide note found at the spot said they took the decision because of acute financial distress, an official said.
- The changes have been opposed by some states who see it as another attempt by the Centre to take over mining auctions and impose central rules on a state domain.
- A re-invigorated biodiversity management policy is India’s survival strategy. At this point in our development trajectory, we don’t pay any heed to either biodiversity or landscape conservation.
- According to Forest Survey of India’s forest fire alert system, there were 2,317 fire points last year between February 26 and March 7, but the figure rose to 53,211 this time after data from the Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (SNPP) was taken into account.