No one ready to lead Jaish-e-Mohammad in Valley: Army
Lieutenant General Kanwal Jeet Singh Dhillon, Corps Commander of Srinagar-based Chinar Corps, on Wednesday claimed that no one was coming forward to take over the leadership of Jaish-e-Mohammad in Kashmir Valley following the offensive launched against the outfit to avenge the February 14 Pulwama terror attack.
“And I want to assure you that the operations against the terrorists in the hinterland and on the LoC [Line of Control] will continue with full vigour and we will not let the terrorism rise up to the levels which they were earlier enjoying,” Dhillon said at a press conference. Jammu and Kashmir police chief Dilbag Singh and inspector general (operations) of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Zulfiqar Hassan were also present.
Singh said that 41 militants were killed after the Pulwama attack.
“This year 69 terrorists have been killed so far and 12 were apprehended. Post Pulwama 41 terrorists have been killed out of them 25 belonged to JeM,” he said.
Security forces have particularly targeted the JeM after a 22-year-old local member of the outfit, Adil Ahmad Dar, rammed his explosive-laden car into a CRPF convoy on February 14, killing 40 troopers.
“Basically we have targeted the JeM leadership. The situation now is that no one is coming forward to take over the leadership of JeM in the Valley. And in-spite of Pakistan’s best effort we will continue to stress JeM especially after Pulwama,” he said.
Dhillon also claimed that the recruitment of local youth has come down to “exceptionally good” level. “And I would once again request all local youth to surrender. In last few months, few people have approached us for surrender and some surrender have also happened. We assure the people surrendering of complete security and their safety,” he said.