60 lost sight because of contaminated operation theatre in MP hospital
A contaminated operation theatre at a state-run hospital in Madhya Pradesh’s Barwani district blinded 60 people in November, said a Kolkataindia Updated: Jan 09, 2016 15:41 IST
A contaminated operation theatre at a state-run hospital in Madhya Pradesh’s Barwani district blinded 60 people in November last year, a Kolkata laboratory has said in its report.
“We have received an email from the laboratory officials today which states this finding. It comes as a stark contrast to the till now notion of drugs containing fungal infection,” said Gauri Singh, principal secretary health in the MP government, about the surgeries at the hospital between November 16 and November 20.
The report said the swabs collected from the operation theatre had bacterial infection which later on because of poor post operative care multiplied to become a serious viral infection.
It may be recalled that the two-member committee which was appointed by the Union Health Ministry had pointed out in its report that the operation theatre needed renovation and was not in a condition where an operation should be performed.
So far it was assumed that the eye wash or the ringer lactate had fungal infection which caused the loss of eyesight among the patients, and the state government had even banned the firm, along with 18 other drugs, in the wake of the botched eye surgeries.
Mentioning that an official meeting on this case has been scheduled today itself for January 12, a discussion will be held regarding the action to be taken by the health department towards the doctors.
First Published: Jan 09, 2016 15:38 IST