China-made rakhi puts 2-year-old's life in danger in Barwani
A China-made electronic rakhi tied on a two-year-old boy put his life in a danger after the button-sized battery it came with got stuck in his nose, leading to a 12-hour scramble across clinics and hospitals to save his life.indore Updated: Sep 10, 2015 16:25 IST
A China-made electronic rakhi tied on a two-year-old boy put his life in a danger after the button-sized battery it came with got stuck in his nose, leading to a 12-hour scramble across clinics and hospitals to save his life.
The child, who already suffered from vesicoureteral reflux, battled for his life for more than 12 hours after his mother tied the rakhi on his wrists as he is an only child.
According to available information, Viral, son of Vinay Bhonsle, a government school teacher at Ojhar, accidently put the battery in his nose while playing at his home on Tuesday. Bhonsle said the battery had come with the rakhi his sister had bought for him for Raksha Bandhan.
Despite repeated attempts on the part of Viral's mother Priyanka, the battery would not budge. She then informed Vinay, who was about 70 km away at his school at the time.
Latif Sheikh, a close family friend, later accompanied the worried mother and the child to a government hospital in Pansemal.
However, unable to remove the foreign object stuck in the child's nose, the doctors asked them to go to a private hospital in Sendhwa, about 45 km away.
Dr Ajit Solanki of the paediatrics department at the government hospital in Sendhwa said, after getting an X-ray report, we found the foreign body but could properly see it because it was hidden in the child's turbinates.
The situation was made more critical by the medical history of the two-year-old. As a precaution, Dr Solanki referred the family to a private hospital in Indore.
The nightmare finally came to an end in Indore. Sheikh said the doctors successfully removed the battery from the child's nasal turbinate by performing a rhinoscopy at a private hospital here.