New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Oct 22, 2020-Thursday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select Country
Select city
ADVERTISEMENT
Home / Mumbai News / Maharashtra moves SC against Bombay high court bar on Maratha quota in PG medical/dental admissions

Maharashtra moves SC against Bombay high court bar on Maratha quota in PG medical/dental admissions

The HC had ruled the state government’s March 8 notification pertaining to SEBC quota in health science courses will not apply to PG dental and medical admissions

mumbai Updated: May 06, 2019, 23:36 IST
Musab Qazi
Musab Qazi
Hindustan Times
The Bombay HC will likely hear the matter later this week.
The Bombay HC will likely hear the matter later this week.(HT FILE)

 The state government on Monday moved the Supreme Court (SC) against the Bombay high court’s (HC) order that the Socially and Economically Backward Castes (SEBC) quota for Marathas will not be applicable for post-graduation (PG) medical and dental courses in 2019-20.

The state has filed a special leave petition (SLP) against the verdict by the Nagpur bench of the HC last week. The medical and dental aspirants, who had filed the original petition in the HC, have also filed a caveat, requesting the court to hear them before reaching any verdict. The matter will likely be heard later this week. The HC had ruled the state government’s March 8 notification pertaining to SEBC quota in health science courses will not apply to PG dental and medical admissions, as the registration process for their respective National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Tests (NEET) had begun on October 16 and November 2, respectively.

The government has maintained that the HC order was based on a “technicality”. Earlier, the state revenue minister Chandrakant Patil had said that even though the admissions process for PG dental and medical courses started before the SEBC Act 2018 came into force, the admissions began only after the law was enacted. The government also plans to bring an ordinance to amend the SEBC Act after the model code of conduct is lifted, to allow for Maratha quota to be implemented for even for courses whose admission began before the act came into place.

Meanwhile, the Maratha students whose admissions are set to be cancelled have requested CM Devendra Fadnavis to use the ‘special powers’ provided to the government in the act to remove the ‘technicality’ responsible for the delay in SEBC implementation. “Many of us left the seats allotted to under All India quota and in colleges in other states to be a part of the state’s admission process. All those admission processes are now over. It’s an injustice and our futures are now bleak,” said Dr Shivaji Bhosle, one of the Maratha aspirants.

Around 178 students were granted admission under SEBC quota. 

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading