I’ve never craved for fame: Shilpa Shirodkar
After a hiatus of more than a decade, the Angna Mein Baba Belle, Shilpa Shirodkar, tells us why she quit her Bollywood career.
You have been away from Bollywood for more than a decade. Where were you?
Shilpa: After completing my last movie, Gaja Gamini (which released in 2000) I got married to Aparesh Ranjit, who is a banker. Then we went to Netherlands for a year and then New Zealand for two years.
In December 2003, our daughter Anushka was born. We later settled in London where we stayed for 7 years before returning to India, two years back.
Has life changed over the years?
Shilpa: Life has certainly changed a lot. I rediscovered myself during my stint abroad. Now I am a full-time mom and I want to be there for Anushka. We moved back because I feel that it is very important for our daughter to stay closer to her family. We want to bring her up with the same value system that we were brought up with.
Did you ever miss not being in the glamour world?
Shilpa: I never craved for fame. Honestly, more than missing the limelight, I missed being busy, when I was abroad. It wasn’t easy for me to sit at home after working every single day since I was a teenager.
So, I did a hairdressing course from Winters Hairdressing Academy while I was in Auckland and became a professional hair dresser. Later I decided to take up a corporate job and worked with Dun & Bradstreet as a credit controller for more than two years. I quit the job when I was pregnant.
Are you in touch with any one from the industry?
Shilpa: No, though I keep meeting Madhoo and Madhuri Dixit as our kids go to the same school.
Are you planning a comeback?
Shilpa: Yes, I am going to be back with a bang very soon.
Jackie Shroff, actor
I have worked with Shilpa in films such as Return of Jewel Thief, Dil Hi Toh Hai and Bandish. It has always been a delight to work with her.
She is one of the sweetest girls I have ever met...extremely talented yet grounded. It will be a pleasure to have such a fine actor making a comeback to the industry.
Shilpa and I bonded really well during the shooting of Pehchaan (1993). She is a giggle goth like me and therefore we connected very well.
I became really good friends with her and remained in touch with her throughout, even while she was in London. She is a not a co-artist but a friend. She is a very warm person.
Name: Shilpa Shirodkar
Acted till: 2000
Known for: Kishen Kanhaiya, Hum , Aankhen, Pehchaan, Gopi Kishan Bewafa Sanam, Mrityudand
Current profile: Homemaker
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Recording Academy announced the list of performers for Grammys 2021. BTS, Taylor Swift, Harry Styles and many more will perform at this year's cereony.
- Bigg Boss 14 winner Rubina Dilaik and Bigg Boss 13's Paras Chhabra are coming together for a music video. See their pictures and videos from the shoot.
- BTS singer Jungkook hosted a VLive on Sunday. During the chat, he revealed his new hair colour, thanked the ARMY, listened to songs and gave everyone a good look at his arm tattoos.
- BTS singer Jungkook released an alternative bridge of the group's song Dis-ease. The 45-second clip has the BTS member singing in English.
- Bigg Boss 13 star Shehnaaz Gill romances Badshah in new song Fly, but 'looks part Indian-part Thai'. Watch the video here.
- Rohanpreet Singh was bowled over by Neha Kakkar's "hotness" in their glamorous new photoshoot together. See pictures here.
- BTS singers Jimin and V graduated from Global Cyber University. The duo has been conferred with the Presidential Award as well.
- Singer Shreya Ghoshal has announced her first pregnancy. She is married to Shiladitya M since six years.
- BTS leader RM, during a conversation about India, revealed that he was familiar with Daler Mehndi's hit Punjabi track Tunak Tunak Tun and confessed he sang the song in middle school.