NADA, India’s anti-doping body, to test 4,000 athletes in 2017
The National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) proposes to test more than 4,000 top athletes in the 2017 season. Disciplines like athletics, weightlifting, boxing, cycling and football are on its radar.
A NADA press release said on Monday that it plans to have educative programmes for juniors rather than test them. “There is a proposal to test senior athletes for performance-enhancing drugs but in juniors and youth categories more awareness camps will be organised to apprise them of the harmful side effects of doping,” it said.
NADA says India ranked third in the global list of dope cheats in 2014 due to 95 anti-doping rule violations. The figure rose to 120 in 2015, but came down to 73 in 2016.
NADA also made public its decision to conduct tests in all senior national meets where doping is prevalent. “Emphasis will be on outstanding performances while individual athletes will not be tested frequently over a short period of time.”
It further said all National Sports Federations (NSFs) should inform NADA about their annual competition calendar in advance for effective dope control measures.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth are among players who will feature in the three-leg Asia Series.
- Kenin lost to ninth-seeded Maria Sakkari 2-6, 6-2, 6-0 in the quarterfinals. Svitolina lost to unseeded Russian Veronika Kudermetova 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (3).
- The Irishman was fighting for only the third time in the last five years. Since his rise to superstardom, McGregor’s activity inside the Octagon had started to decline. He fought 8 times in the 2014-2016 period. But in the next 4 years, McGregor had only 3 MMA fights.
- It was the first time that McGregor lost a match by a technical knockout.
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav, returning to action after four years of doping suspension, had a very good start as he defeated young Gaurav Baliyan, the defending champion, without breaking much sweat (10-0), but lost a close bout to Dhankar (4-3) in the next round.