When Vijay ‘secretly’ joined Jallikattu protesters at Chennai’s Marina beach
Tamil superstar Vijay paid a secret visit to the Marina beach in Chennai to extend support to thousands of young protesters against the ban on Jallikattu, a source said.
On Friday night, Vijay joined thousands of supporters who have been protesting against the ban on the popular and ancient bull-taming sport.
“He didn’t participate in the fast organised by the Nadigar Sangam as he wanted the limelight to stay on the youngsters. Hence, he decided to join them on ground on Friday night. He covered his face with a handkerchief and silently joined protesters at Marina beach,” said a source close to the actor.
On Friday, the central government gave its nod to an ordinance enabling the holding of Jallikattu as proposed by the Tamil Nadu government.
Earlier, in a video message, Vijay said: “Law was not created to rob people off their tradition and rights, but to protect it. Jallikattu is every Tamilian’s identity. Those who are protesting against the ban on Jallikattu are united by the feeling that they are Tamilians, but not out of compulsion or political pressure. I bow down to each and every one of them.”
On the career front, he is gearing up for the shoot of his next yet-untitled Tamil outing with director Atlee.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Shabana Azmi has shared a picture of herself, smiling from ear-to-ear, on the one-year anniversary of a near-fatal car crash.
- The Amazon Prime Video web series Tandav has been at the centre of a controversy after it was alleged that certain scenes are offensive to certain communities. Here's everything you need to know about what happened.
- Tandav creator Ali Abbas Zafar has issued an apology on behalf of the cast and crew of the Amazon web series, after an FIR was lodged against several people involved in the show for hurting religious sentiments.
- Vikas Gupta took to Twitter to share 'proof' of Aly Goni's homophobia, which Jasmin Bhasin didn't take quietly.
- Remo D'Souza, who recently had a health scare, was spotted out and about town with friend Aamir Ali. Watch a video here.
- Citing the examples of Deepika Padukone, Kangana Rananut and Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu has said that it is 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films.
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.
- Shah Rukh Khan jokingly took offence as the official Twitter handle of Kolkata Knight Riders declared Juhi Chawla’s husband Jay Mehta as the 'most affable gentleman'.