I have never been image-conscious: Shilpa Shirodkar
Shilpa Shirodkar has returned to television after a year with the TV show Savitri Devi College & Hospital. Her last outing was Silsila Pyaar Ka (SPK), which ended last year. “When one show ends, it is not easy to get another good show. It was challenging, as I didn’t know what would come next or if it will be as interesting as the previous one,” says the Ek Mutthi Aasmaan actor.
She is currently enjoying working with young talent in her new TV show. “Working with a big team and an ensemble of actors is fun and exciting. The dedication and enthusiasm of young actors is lovely and one can learn a lot from that,” she adds.
Playing a mother in a daily soap isn’t new to Shilpa, as she has played one in each of her three shows. “In Silsila, I played an obsessive mum who felt that only she could wish well for her son. In Ek Mutthi Aasmaan, I played a strong mum who didn’t want her daughter to be a maid like her. Now, I am playing a mother who is nice, but has an agenda. I have never been image-conscious. Your image is set by what you do every day.”
Although, Shilpa has been busy with TV shows of late, the actor, started her career with films. She debuted with Bhrashtachar (1989), and then went on to do a number of films such as Kishen Kanhaiya (1990), Hum (1991), Khuda Gawah (1993) and Gopi Kishan (1994), among others. She later got married and took a break from acting only to return with a television show in 2013. Now, Shilpa is hopeful of a second innings in films. She says, “I have done a film with Rikkuji (Rakeshnath, producer), and hopefully, it should release this year. I hope it becomes a turning point in my career, and I get more offers. I want to do something interesting. Nothing has happened on the film front for me. The industry is like a close family, and everyone is aware of which actor is available and which actor won’t do a certain film. So, people know that I am busy with TV, and they know if an actor is committed to a television show, there isn’t much time to do anything else. People understand the responsibility that an actor has when he or she is doing TV. I am waiting to do a good film though.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Fans of Netflix's The Crown took to Twitter following the Prince Harry-Meghan Markle interview with Oprah Winfrey. Here's how they reacted.
- Simi Garewal on Monday said that she doesn't believe what Meghan Markle said in an interview with Oprah Winfrey, and called the Duchess of Sussex 'evil' for playing the victim and race cards.
- Bigg Boss 14's Jasmin Bhasin issue a clarification on Twitter after Rubina Dilaik's fans attacked her. Fans associated her tweet on Sunday about manipulative people with the Bigg Boss 14 winner.
- Abhinav Shukla said that Bigg Boss 14 runner-up Rahul Vaidya did not deserve to be in the top two as he walked out of the show during the mid-season finale.
- Hema Malini was left teary-eyed on watching a video message from her daughter, Esha Deol, on Indian Idol 12. The episode will be aired tonight. Watch the promo here.
- Rannvijay Singha of Roadies fame wished his wife Prianka Singha on her birthday on Sunday. They recently announced they were expecting their second child together.
- Rahul Vaidya and Disha Parmar were spotted watching a cricket practice session. Fans loved their easy equation with each other and showered them with love.
- Sidharth Shukla and Sonia Rathee were seen riding a bike on the sets of their upcoming show Broken But Beautiful. The duo have roped in for the lead roles.
- Rakhi Sawant is disappointed with Rubina Dilaik and Aly Goni for not visiting her ailing mother, who is in hospital fighting cancer.
- Shehnaaz Gill has said that because Sidharth Shukla is 'the complete package', girls constantly hit on him, which she thinks is a problem.
- Kamya Panjabi was married to businessman Bunty Negi for 10 years before she gave up and walked out of the marriage in 2013. In a new interview, she recalls the day she left.