Who doesn’t like to party? But more often than not, after a night of binging and drinking, not just your body, your skin feels its after-effects too.
“When your body is bombarded with toxins that are a result of junk food, alcohol, environmental pollutants, etc, your skin starts looking dull. You get under-eye circles, sunken cheeks and patchy skin,” says Dr Apratim Goel, a Mumbai-based dermatologist and laser surgeon. This condition is called a “skin hangover”, and you feel the need to resort to immediate measures to fight post-celebration blues.
If you have faced similar situations, fret not. There are several simple steps to help you regain your rejuvenated look and make your skin supple. Here, experts share tips:
1. Opt for a body massage.
Massaging stimulates lymphatic circulation, which helps hasten the detox process. Hence, the skin looks better. Post the massage, head straight for a steam or a hot-water bath. This helps get rid of the oil, and throws the toxins out..
2. If you wake up with bags around your eyes, try applying something cool, such as cold spoons or cucumber.
This helps reduce the puffiness, and also keeps the skin around the eye hydrated. You can also place cold tea bags on the eyes for 10-15 minutes. The caffeine will constrict the blood vessels that contribute to the swelling of eyes. You can also apply an anti-puffiness cream or eye pads.
3. As alcohol leaves the skin looking a little dull, you can also apply a hydrating facemask for a few minutes the next day to reverse the damage.
4. If your face is puffy or swollen, fill a bowl of water, add lots of ice cubes to it, and immerse your face in it.
This procedure actually reduces the swelling significantly.
5. If your skin breaks out the next morning because of all the junk food, you consumed the previous night and it shows a ‘pus point’, apply a dot of Multani Mitti on the point.
Leave it on overnight. It’ll shrink the pimple.
Here’s how a slight change in your diet can help get over the hangover:
1. Because alcohol is a dehydrating agent, the first and most important thing one should do the morning after a party, is to rehydrate. Drinking a lot of water with lime should be the goal, as it makes the system as alkaline as possible.
2. Avoid caffeine, as it leads to further dehydration. Apart from that, make sure you drink 10-12 glasses of water the entire day. Keeping yourself hydrated contributes to soft, moist and supple skin.
3. Herbal/green teas are excellent for staying hydrated. Try Chamomile Tea to wash away the toxins.
4. Eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables like spinach, carrots, lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, leek, etc.
AFTER A BEACH PARTY
Here are some tips to get rid of tan after a celebration:
1. Buttermilk helps reduce the effects of a sun tan. Apply chilled buttermilk on the tanned area, and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then wash it off with cold water. Apply a soothing cream, lotion or calamine after you wash off the curd. You will see a visible reduction in the tan
2. Mild bleaching, two or three days after sun exposure, helps eliminate a tan. However, if you have sunburn, take a break of 10 days before using any bleaching agent.
(With inputs from Dr Jamuna Pai, skin specialist, and Dr Soma Sarkar, dermatologist)
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more.