Sign in

Naga accord a 'framework agreement', Nagalim issue set aside

The landmark peace accord signed on Monday by the government and the NSCN-IM, the dominant rebel group in Nagaland, is a “framework agreement” that will pave the way for a final and lasting solution to one of the longest running insurgencies in Asia, rebel and government sources said.

Updated on: Aug 4, 2015, 02:13:52 IST
Hindustan Times | By , New Delhi
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

The landmark peace accord signed on Monday by the government and the NSCN-IM, the dominant rebel group in Nagaland, is a “framework agreement” that will pave the way for a final and lasting solution to one of the longest running insurgencies in Asia, rebel and government sources said.

PM-Narendra-Modi-with-leaders-of-NSCN-IM-at-the-signing-of-peace-accord-at-7-RCR-on-Monday-Photo-credit-You-Tube-screen-grab
PM-Narendra-Modi-with-leaders-of-NSCN-IM-at-the-signing-of-peace-accord-at-7-RCR-on-Monday-Photo-credit-You-Tube-screen-grab

Two government officials familiar with the negotiations that preceded the signing of the accord described the agreement as “initial and preliminary” in nature.

One of the officials said the NSCN-IM’s most contentious demand – the creation of Nagalim or Greater Nagaland comprising all Naga-inhabited areas of the northeast – had been “set aside for now”. The accord will be “confined to Nagaland”, the official added.

Read:A history of accords but peace has eluded Nagaland

The second government official said the accord will pave the way for further deliberations that will lead to a lasting solution to the six-decade-long insurgency in Nagaland.

A source in the NSCN-IM too confirmed that the document signed on Monday by NSCN-IM general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah and RN Ravi, chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee, was a preliminary agreement.

Read:Treaty with NSCN(IM): Nagaland's neighbours wary of contents

A statement issued by Muivah following the signing ceremony said: “Better understanding has been arrived at and a framework agreement has been concluded basing on the unique history and position of the Nagas and recognising the universal principle that in a democracy, sovereignty lies with the people.”

The lengthy statement issued by the Press Information Bureau too included a line towards the end that said: “Within this framework agreement, details and execution plan will be released shortly.” It did not give details.

Sources in the government and the NSCN-IM further said the framework agreement largely focussed on less contentious issues on which the two sides had been able to reach consensus following some 80 rounds of talks since they agreed on a ceasefire in mid-1997.

However, both sides described the signing of the accord on Monday as a key breakthrough in efforts to end the insurgency and unrest in Nagaland and to make the NSCN-IM part of the mainstream.

Before the NSCN-IM agreed to ink the accord, Muivah met top "kilonsers" or ministers of the rebel group at the group’s Camp Hebron in Nagaland on July 27. At the meeting, the NSCN-IM leadership vetted and approved the draft of the accord.



  • Rezaul H Laskar
    ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    Rezaul H Laskar

    Rezaul Hasan Laskar is Foreign Editor with the Hindustan Times, which he joined in 2015. He began as a journalist in his hometown of Shillong in northeast India and has worked in newspapers and wire services over the years. He moved to New Delhi in 1997 and initially focused on defence, national security, Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast, while also working of foreign policy and international relations. He has been part of the media delegation accompanying PMs on foreign visits and has reported from destinations ranging from Tibet to Ukraine. Between 2007 and 2013, he was the Press Trust of India correspondent in Pakistan, one of only two Indian journalists allowed to report from the country. He extensively covered Pakistan’s domestic politics and the life of the common people, as well as the fallout of the 2008 Mumbai attacks on India-Pakistan relations and the subsequent trial in Pakistan of the suspects involved in the attack. As part of his reportage in Pakistan, he travelled the breadth of the country, from the Swat Valley to Balochistan. Reza’s first gig in journalism was writing a weekly music column, and music – especially classic rock – remains a keen interest. He is also a movie buff and a keen photographer.Read More