Art, workshops, theatre, food: 10 things to do in Mumbai this weekend
We sort your weekend in 10 events, that cover travel, food and workshopsHT48HRS_Special Updated: Sep 02, 2016 11:56 IST
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2
1)Art: Given Time: The Gift and Its Offerings:12 renowned artists (including Jitish Kallat, Anita Dube and Shaurya Kumar ) are showing works inspired by philosopher Jacques Derrida’s theory on gifting.
Where: One Indiabulls Centre, Senapati Bapat Marg, Elphinstone Road; Call: 3368 5424; Entry: Free; When: 11am to 7pm
2)Workshop: Found in Translation: Writer, poet and translator Jerry Pinto will share the challenges he faced, and the knowledge required, to translate a work from one language to another, while keeping the essence of the text intact.
Where: Godrej ONE, Vikhroli (E); Register on: indiaculturelab.org/events; When: 5pm
3) Art: The Spiritual Quest: Artists Dattatraya Thombare and Charushila Gawde will portray human emotions, and recurring dreams of elephants, on canvas.
Where: Nehru Centre Art Gallery, Dr Annie Besant Road, Worli; Call: 98227 79395; Entry: Free; When: 11am to 7pm
Saturday, Septermber 3
4) Photography: Kamalan x Blue Tokai Bombay: Enjoy an evening of poetry and photographs. Narrate your own spoken word piece on travel, or listen to others. Photos curated from the Kamalan Travel Photography Project will be displayed.
Where: Blue Tokai Coffee Roastery, Laxmi Woollen Mill, Shakti Mills Lane, Mahalakshmi; Call: 97114 65001; When: 5pm; Entry: Free
5) Film: World Film Club: Attend a screening of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968), in which a not-so-lucky inventor turns a broken Grand Prix car into a fancy vehicle, and takes his children off on an adventure to save their grandfather.
Where: Little Theatre, NCPA, Nariman Point; Call: 2367 9656; When: 2pm to 6pm
6) Workshop: Food Photography 101: Not enough likes on your Instagram? Learn to click food photos with a professional touch. This workshop will include lessons on lighting, exposure triangle, composition and importance of food styling.
Where: Magazine Street Kitchen, Gala no 13, Devidayal Compound, Gupta Mills Estate, Reay Road; Call: 2372 6708; Price: Rs 3000; When: 10am to 2pm
7) Food: Japanese Pop up Dinner: This weekend, settle down for a nine-course Japanese meal (which includes sushi, ramen and wagashi) whipped up by chefs Ronak Nanda and Jahan Bloch.
Where: Magazine Street Kitchen, Gala no 13, Devidayal Compound, Gupta Mills Estate, Reay Road; Call: 2372 6708; Price: Rs 4,500; When: 7:30pm
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4
8) Workshop: Growing Organic Fruits in Pots: Grow some fresh fruits on your terrace or balcony, and make your own green patch in this concrete jungle. Learn the basics as well as some simple hacks at this workshop.
Where: St. Andrew’s Auditorium, St Andrews College, St Domnic Road, Bandra (W); Call: 9960 643245; When: 10am to 1pm; Price: Rs 1,400
9) Theatre: Barff: This Hindi thriller play is set in Kashmir, and chronicles the happenings of a single night. Directed by Saurabh Shukla, it stars Sadia Siddiqui and Sunil Palwal.
Where: Nehru Centre, Dr Annie Besant Road, Worli; Call: 2492 0510; Ticket: Rs 200 onwards; When: 7:30pm
10) Workshop: Travel Workshop about Japan: Always wanted to visit Japan? Avid traveller Ansoo Gupta will share everything you need to know, including applying for leave, economical stay options, and driving license requirements.
Where: Doolally Taproom, August Kranti Marg, Kemp’s Corner; Call: 99693 60726; Ticket: Rs 500; When: 11.30am