The celebrated ancient Machu Picchu, built on Peru’s Andes Mountains, has bagged the title of travellers’ favourite landmark in a new TripAdvisor ranking.
After slipping to second place behind Angkor Wat, Cambodia last year, Machu Picchu stole back the No. 1 spot in the 2016 edition of the Travelers’ Choice Landmarks awards, which it had also occupied in 2014.
The historic sanctuary, which stands 2,430 meters above sea level was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983, inspiring pilgrimages from all corners of the world.
But the volume of tourists over the years has put the ancient site at risk of irreversible damage and degradation, forcing officials to impose a cap on the number of visitors and permits for the Inca Trails to 2,500 a day.
The TripAdvisor ranking was determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for landmarks worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
While Machu Picchu took the top spot for the international ranking, the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in Washington DC emerged the top landmark in the US list.
Here are the top 10 Landmarks in the World according to TripAdvisor members:
1. Machu Picchu, Peru
2. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3. Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
4. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
5. Taj Mahal, Agra, India
6. Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain
7. Church of the Savior on Spilt Blood, St. Petersburg, Russia
8. The Alhambra, Granada, Spain
9. Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, Washington DC
10. Milan Cathedral (Duomo), Milan, Italy
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more.