Islamic State link not confirmed in Dhaka restaurant seige: US

  • IANS, Washington/Dhaka
  • Updated: Jul 02, 2016 15:53 IST
Bangladeshi soldiers patrol a street during a rescue operation as gunmen take position in a restaurant in Dhaka’s high-security diplomatic district. (AFP)

The US state department has said it “cannot yet confirm” if the Islamic State was involved with the hostage crisis at a restaurant in Dhaka though the group reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack.

“It is too early for us to say who’s involved, motivation -- any of that stuff. It’s all still unfolding right now,” department of state spokesperson John Kirby told media personnel on Friday.

Kirby said more information could be provided as the situation unfolds.

“We join with the people of Bangladesh in expressing our outrage at this brutal act of terrorism and offer our condolences to the friends and families of the victims, including Bangladeshi officials killed or injured in the attack,” he said.

The US embassy in Dhaka has accounted for 100% of American citizens working under the chief of mission’s authority.

Read | Bangladesh hostage siege: What we know so far

also read

At least 10 hurt in southern Turkey blast: TV reports
Show comments