Madhya Pradesh: 3-year-old girl dies in celebratory firing; police exhume body, book nine family members
Police on Friday arrested two people in connection with the death of a three-year-old girl in celebratory firing in Rewa, 536 km east of Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Among those arrested is the girl’s mother as her family allegedly buried her body to hide the crime, said police.
Police have exhumed the body and sent it for postmortem to know the exact cause of death. The arrests were made after the preliminary post mortem report showed that the child died of gunshot injuries, said Manoj Gautam, police station in-charge, Naigarhi.
Police booked nine people of the family including girl’s parents, maternal uncle and grandfather. During interrogation, the mother reportedly confessed to the police.
The police officer said, “The girl reportedly died of injuries from celebratory firing by her maternal grandfather on November 6. The family buried her body in Chakghat. A week later, police got the tip-off that the girl was killed in a firing incident. The body was exhumed on November 13. The girl’s parents had claimed then that she died after falling from height.”
Rewa superintendent of police Rakesh Kumar Singh said, “The grandfather has been booked for murder while eight others were booked for hatching a criminal conspiracy and hiding the crime.”
(With inputs from Harendra Singh)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- “It is obvious to me that freedom of speech and expression is seriously compromised in this country,” former additional solicitor general and senior advocate Indira Jaising said.
- The two accused were identified as Ayub Qureshi, who was convicted in a case of Mumbai Bomb Blast 1993, and Waseem Khan, who was a member of the Abu Salem gang.
- A controversy has broken out in Madhya Pradesh over veracity of some government staff testing Covid-19 positive before the winter assembly session last year, leading to its cancellation.
- Balveer Singh Yadav, 45, a resident of Bharrad village of Madhya Pradesh's Morena district had been arrested in 2006 in connection to a murder case.
- The victim died on Saturday while undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- Yadav has shown through for his commitment while managing the crowd of patients and visitors at the hospital without taking a single leave since March 2020, said a hospital official