83 first look: Ranveer Singh looks like Kapil Dev’s carbon copy, Bollywood and cricketers say ‘wow’. See pic
On his 34th birthday today, actor Ranveer Singh shared his first look as Kapil Dev from the upcoming film, ‘83. The actor plays former Team India captain Kapil Dev who went on to lead India to its first World Cup win in cricket.
Looking strikingly similar to the veteran cricketer with a bushy moustache and hairdo, Ranveer can be seen flipping a leather ball in his hand with an intense look on his face. He wrote, “On my special day, here’s presenting THE HARYANA HURRICANE KAPIL DEV @83thefilm @kabirkhankk @deepikapadukone @mantenamadhu @sarkarshibasish @vishnuinduri @reliance.entertainment @fuhsephantom @nadiadwalagrandson.”
Several fans and friends applauded the actor for his new look. Ayushmann Khurrana wrote, “wow wow wow” whereas cricketer Shikhar Dhawan commented, “Looking exact like pajhi. Happy Birthday bro.Have a great one.” Actor Aahana Kumra wrote, “No way!! Dayum! Happiest birthday @ranveersingh !! Greatest innings to you!!” Dhadak director Shashank Khaitaan also wrote, “Oh WOW!!! This is so good ... exactly like the legend Kapil Dev... Happy Birthday Bro... keep on inspiring... cause thats what you doing with every character you breathing...”
ALSO WATCH | 83: Watch Ranveer Singh gush over Kapil Dev’s moustache, style
Ranveer had spent 10 days at Kapil Dev’s residence in Delhi to understand the finer naunces of his personality. He had received training from the cricketer himself during the boot camp in Dharamshala. Praising the actor Kapil had told Hindustan Times in an interview, “His commitment and passion. These two traits in him are what strikes an onlooker at the first go. He will be at something repeatedly and won’t let go till he feels he’s mastered it, despite others telling him it’s acceptable. Just acceptable is not okay. It has to be excellent.”
Being directed by Kabir Khan, the film will tell the story of India’s first cricket World Cup win in 1983. Ranveer’s wife and actor Deepika Padukone will play his onscreen wife Romi Dev in the film. The team is currently stationed in Scotland and will reportedly shoot the final match of the film at Lord’s post the ICC Cricket World Cup.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Salman Khan reportedly shot for Shah Rukh Khan's Pathan on Thursday. See a picture from the set here.
- Rakhi Sawant visited her ailing mother at hospital, accompanied by Kashmera Shah and Sambhavna Seth, who assured 'emotional and financial support' for her.
- Yashraj Mukhate, the memelord musician behind viral tracks such as Rasode Mein Kaun Tha and Pawri Hori Hai, has spoken about his journey.
- On Shahid Kapoor's 40th birthday, his former step-father Rajesh Khattar recalled the 'normal family' dynamic they shared as Shahid was growing up.
- A faction of late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's fans called for a boycott of the film Chehre, said to feature his girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty. Rhea was removed from the promotional materials of the film.
- Sunny Leone, her daughter Nisha and sons Asher and Noah touched down in Mumbai after their trip to Kerala. They were welcomed by Daniel Weber.
Indian adaptation underway for Spanish thriller The Cleaning Lady, Siddharth Kumar Tewary reveals details
- Actor Saif Ali Khan once said that he should've added a disclaimer to his son Taimur's name, after him and his wife, Kareena Kapoor, were criticised for picking that name.
- Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover were in Maldives for a brief holiday and shared lots of pictures from the island nation. Check out their latest pictures here.
- As Shahid Kapoor turns 40, his wife Mira Rajput took to Instagram and penned a sweet birthday note for the actor.
- Actor Zareen Khan has spoken about how being compared unfavourably to Katrina Kaif early in her career affected her.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut in a new tweet called a group of youths 'primitive monkeys' for getting answers on history and current affairs wrong.