Tamil actor Ajith donates Rs 1.25 crore for coronavirus relief
Tamil star Ajith Kumar, who was last seen on screen in Nerkonda Paarvai, on Tuesday announced a donation of Rs 1.25 crore towards the coronavirus relief fund. As per the actor’s publicist, Ajith has donated Rs 50 lakh each towards Prime Minister’s fund and Tamil Nadu CM’s fund while another Rs 25 lakh has gone towards the welfare of Film Employees Federation of South India (FEFSI).
Other Tamil actors who’ve donated include Rajinikanth (Rs 50 lakh) and Dhanush (Rs 15 lakh). Suriya, Sivakarthikeyan and Vijay Sethupathi have chipped in with Rs 10 lakh each.
A couple of weeks ago, many Tamil actors came forward to donate after FEFSI Union President RK Selvamani had released a statement requesting members of Tamil film fraternity to support the daily wage workers of the union who are currently jobless as shooting of films has been suspended till March 31st.
In the statement, Selvamani said: “As we are aware, Tamil film world has been crippled by the Coronavirus that is currently threatening the entire world. In the 50 years since the inception of the union, the film industry has faced various strikes; protests were held against the producers demanding pay rises and demands from the government. But nothing of this scale, the ongoing lockdown is very different.”
The statement further added that the union needs to raise a minimum of Rs 1 crore to support its members. FEFSI consist of 23 unions belonging to different trades in the film and the television industry that has around 25,000 members.
Actor-filmmaker R Parthiepan has provided 250 bags of rice. Actor-filmmaker Manobala has also donated rice bags to FEFSI workers.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Shabana Azmi has shared a picture of herself, smiling from ear-to-ear, on the one-year anniversary of a near-fatal car crash.
- The Amazon Prime Video web series Tandav has been at the centre of a controversy after it was alleged that certain scenes are offensive to certain communities. Here's everything you need to know about what happened.
- Tandav creator Ali Abbas Zafar has issued an apology on behalf of the cast and crew of the Amazon web series, after an FIR was lodged against several people involved in the show for hurting religious sentiments.
- Vikas Gupta took to Twitter to share 'proof' of Aly Goni's homophobia, which Jasmin Bhasin didn't take quietly.
- Remo D'Souza, who recently had a health scare, was spotted out and about town with friend Aamir Ali. Watch a video here.
- Citing the examples of Deepika Padukone, Kangana Rananut and Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu has said that it is 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films.
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.