P’kula lad 50th in all-India JEE (mains) final ranking
After securing a sixth all-India rank in the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE advanced), Panchkula lad Shubham Goel (17), once again did the city proud after he came at no 50 in the all-India rankings and first in UT in the JEE (main) results announced by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Tuesday.chandigarh Updated: Jul 09, 2014 10:26 IST
After securing a sixth all-India rank in the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE advanced), Panchkula lad Shubham Goel (17), once again did the city proud after he came at no 50 in the all-India rankings and first in UT in the JEE (main) results announced by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Tuesday.
Over 10 lakh engineering aspirants appeared for the exam. The JEE (main) ranks will be used by central institutes (NITs and IIITs), among other colleges in India, for granting admission. The JEE (main) final All India Rank-2014 is based on a combination of JEE Mains scores (which accounts for 60% marks) and Class 12 results (which make up for the remaining 40%).
JEE (main) scores were declared in the first week of June.Besides Shubham, two more studentsHardik Verma and Ritwick Chaudhary- secured ranks in the top 100. While Hardik stood 65th in the all-India rankings and second in Chandigarh, Ritwick Chaudhary came at no 74 (all-India rank) and third in Chandigarh The students have secured admission to IITs through JEE (advanced), result of which was declared recently.
While Shubham has secured a seat at IIT, Mumbai, in computer science, Hardik has been admitted to IIT, Delhi, in mathematics and computing and Ritwick has secured a seat at IIT, Mumbai, in electrical duel.
“I was expecting a better rank but due to lower marks in Class 12 than I expected, my AIR rank has gone down,” said Shubham, who is currently at Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, Mumbai, preparing for the international chemistry Olympiad.Other students who qualified for JEE (main) were Aryan Garg (All India Rank 308 and UT Rank 9) Ishkaran Mangat (all India rank 779 and UT Rank 11) and Prashant (all India rank 1077 and UT rank 15).
Meanwhile, SAS Nagar student Gurkirat Singh Bajwa secured an all India rank of 408 and Punjab state rank of 7. Director of coaching centre Lakshya, Anand Prakash, said that the exam once again proved those who had done well in the entrance as well as in Class 12 secured better ranks. FIITJEE’s local head Suchit Verma said that those focusing admission in NITs must strike a balance between Class 12 and entrance exam performance. “Low marks in either of these may lose you a chance to go to a good engineering college,”he said.
First Published: Jul 09, 2014 10:25 IST