...
...
Next Story

Uphaar fire: Victims’ kin rap Delhi govt using trauma centre funds elsewhere

In an affidavit filed last week, the state government said there was no state-run hospital in Dwarka at the time to house such a centre

Published on: Aug 19, 2025, 03:18:09 IST
Advertisement

The Association of Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) has criticised the Delhi government’s response to the Supreme Court on diverting 60 crore demarcated by the court for a trauma centre in Dwarka to set up trauma centres in three upcoming projects.

The Uphaar cinema premises. (HT Archive)
The Uphaar cinema premises. (HT Archive)

In an affidavit filed last week, the state government said there was no state-run hospital in Dwarka at the time to house such a centre. The funds, received in November 2015, were reallocated in the 2020-21 budget under “Health Projects” and “PWD Maintenance.” The government said the funds are being used to set up trauma centres at Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital, Mangolpuri (budget outlay of over 117 crore), Satyawadi Raja Harish Chander Hospital, Narela (over 244 crore), and Siraspur Hospital (over 487 crore).

However, members of AVUT maintained that the state government’s response was “outrageous”.

Neelam Krishnamoorthy, spokesperson for AVUT, said, “The SC, in its order, categorically ordered the state government to utilise the 60 crore fund for a dedicated trauma centre in the memory of Uphaar cinema victims, that has not happened yet, but despite that the state government is saying that it has already utilised the funds.”

Almost a decade ago, the Supreme Court ordered the Delhi government to construct a trauma centre in memory of the 59 lives lost in a fire at Uphaar cinema in 1997, using the 60 crore penalty levied on realtors Sushil Ansal and Gopal Ansal.

On July 16, the top court asked the Delhi government to file a status report on how it used the funds. The bench, led by justice Surya Kant, will examine the Delhi government’s response on August 25, when AVUT is also expected to file its reply.

Krishnamoorthy said, “Over the years, we have filled multiple RTIs to find out where the funds have been utilised; we were never given a reply. So now, we are ready to give our befitting reply on August 28 in the Supreme Court. For years we have fought legal battles to bring justice to the Uphaar cinema victims and we will still continue it.”

In multiple RTI queries filed in 2019 and again in 2024, departments, including the Chief Secretary’s office, the health ministry, the law department, and the Directorate General of Health Services, responded saying that the information “is not available” or “does not pertain” to them.

“The state had neither allotted land nor offered any explanation,” said Shekhar Krishnamoorthy, another AVUT member who lost two children in the fire. “This is why we went to the SC again to find out the implementation of the court’s order.”

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Ridhima Gupta

Ridhima Gupta is a Principal Correspondent at Hindustan Times, where she covers healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and public health policy. Her reporting centers on Delhi’s major hospitals (AIIMS, Safdarjung, Lok Nayak), the state health department, and emerging medical trends. Ridhima is particularly interested in reporting on healthcare issues through the lens of women, children, and persons with disabilities. Her work often explores the intersection of healthcare and public policy, examining how these factors shape access health care. Based in New Delhi, many of her reports have led to direct government action over the years, in different city. Earlier this year, she completed a media training workshop on the Impact of Extreme Heat on Health, organised by the Global Strategic Communications Council (GSCC), further strengthening her interest in reporting on the intersection of climate change and public health. A postgraduate from the Asian College of Journalism, Chennai, Ridhima has around a decade of experience in journalism. She began her career as a trainee television reporter with Mirror Now in Mumbai and has since worked across multiple cities, including Bengaluru, Hyderabad, and Delhi, contributing to both print and broadcast newsrooms. She is a recipient of the Laadli Media Fellowship (2022) for her reporting on education, disability, and women’s issues. Before joining Hindustan Times, Ridhima worked with The Times of India, New Indian Express and News18. A native of Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh, Ridhima completed her undergraduate studies in Biotechnology. And when she is not working as a journalist she likes to paint and go on nature hikes.

Catch every big hit, every wicket with Crickit, a one stop destination for Live Scores, Match Stats, Infographics & much more. Explore now!

Stay updated with all top Cities including, Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai and more across India. Stay informed on the latest happenings in World News along with Delhi Election 2025 and Delhi Election Result 2025 Live, New Delhi Election Result Live, Kalkaji Election Result Live at Hindustan Times.
Catch every big hit, every wicket with Crickit, a one stop destination for Live Scores, Match Stats, Infographics & much more. Explore now!

Stay updated with all top Cities including, Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai and more across India. Stay informed on the latest happenings in World News along with Delhi Election 2025 and Delhi Election Result 2025 Live, New Delhi Election Result Live, Kalkaji Election Result Live at Hindustan Times.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe