Raise girls’ age of consent for sex to 16, law panel tells Govt
The Law Commission on Wednesday recommended that the age of consent for sex should be raised from 15 years to 16 years for girls, regardless of marriage.
Currently, Section 375 of the IPC, that defines rape, provides the following exception: “Sexual intercourse by a man with his wife, the wife not being under 15 years of age, is not rape.” The commission recommended that the exception be deleted and the girl’s age of consent for sex be raised to 16.
“This would ensure that the age of consent for sexual intercourse for all girls, whether married or not, is 16,” the commission said in its 205th report on the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 and other allied laws. Law Commission Chairman Justice AR Lakshmanan submitted the report to Law Minister HR Bhardwaj on Wednesday.
If the government accepts the recommendation and accordingly Section 375 is amended, a man eloping with a girl below the age of 16 and marrying her would face rape charges if he makes love to her even with her consent. “The rationale behind the minimum age of consent is that the girl is not mature enough to know the consequences of sexual intercourse and this rationale would be the same for a minor bride and other minors,” the commission said.
The report mentioned the case of an 11-year-old bride who died of haemorrhage from a rupture of the vagina after her husband forcibly had sex with her.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As part of their investigation, police have till date arrested 1,753 persons, which includes 820 Hindus and 933 Muslims.
- The accused man, 30-year-old Sujeet Kumar, remains hospitalised and the police are waiting for him to recover before they pursue “suitable action” against him.
- A bench of justice Vipin Sanghi and justice Rekha Palli also asked the members of the striking union to not put under siege the municipal corporation or throw garbage on the streets.
- Manish Sisodia also interacted with students enrolled in the course to know their experiences.
- Jai Prakash, north Delhi mayor, said that all efforts of the municipal agencies this winter were focused to control local pollution sources.
- No Delhi police officer commented on the incident on record, but senior police officers aware of the development said on condition of anonymity that the two men who were on the target, are lodged in Tihar for their role in the northeast Delhi violence.
- Like several other curious onlookers, the boy too was watching the earthmover in action when the mishap took place, the police said.
- Considering the possibility of quitting this occupation, he observes that “one of the good things of being an auto driver is that all your income is made in hard cash.
- The last, which has a weight of almost one-third in the rankings, is a completely subjective parameter.