Tahir Raj Bhasin: Very confident Kabir Khan has a winner on hand with ‘83
2021 seems to be a busy year for Tahir Raj Bhasin, with two releases in the offing- Loop Lapeta with Taapsee Pannu, and the much-anticipated ’83, based on the 1983 cricket World Cup win for India.
Talking about getting back to work after the Covid lockdown made everything come to a grinding halt, he says, “It was incredible to be back on set. One of the things that kept me afloat during that period is the silver lining. We were meant to shoot this film in May-June of last year. We were one week away from going into schedule. The first time me and Taapsee were going to meet, Mumbai went into lockdown, and it got extended more and more. When you have lived with something for six months, the script and the part, when you execute it, there’s a tremendous feeling of creative satisfaction.”
The 33-year-old, who has been a part of films such as Mardaani (2014) and Chhichhore (2019), adds that work didn’t stop even when shoots weren’t taking place. “The exchange of ideas was happening on video calls ‘this is how we will play’, costumes… to see all of it physically manifesting was just a dream come true,” says the actor.
What also made headlines was the delay in the release of ’83. Initially it was pushed to December 2020, before finally settling for 2021. Bhasin says he is ‘very confident’ that Kabir Khan (director, co-producer) has a winner on his hand.
Asked whether he was apprehensive about the fate of the film, he says, “What’s great about it is that it is a period film, and a concept everyone is aware of. It’s not that the film will start looking old whether it comes in January or a few months later. 83 was an experience for me. When Kabir came and told me, I said wow, it’s going to be shot like the real players went and played the World Cup decades ago. We all moved to UK for three and a half months and played in the same stadiums. A film made on this scale, we were fortunate that it was made then, it would be very difficult in today’s time.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.