From pink turban to bandhgala, here’s what fashion experts think of Modi’s R-Day wear
India celebrated its 68th Republic Day on Thursday, with the annual parade displaying the beauty and might of the nation at Rajpath.
Despite all the pomp and colour on the parade ground, a particularly hard-to-miss sight was that of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his sartorial choice for the occasion. Modi chose to go with monochromes – with the exception of his stand-out statement pagdi – on the special day.
Unlike the previous Republic Day when the Prime Minister wore a bandhgala suit, this time his preference for the Nehru collar came with a dotted charcoal-grey jacket featuring the trademark pocket square.
However, it was his pink woven turban lined with silver that stood apart. While Twitter had a field day decoding the reason for his choice of colour (some even calling it a tribute to the new Rs 2,000 note), design experts dubbed it as a thoughtful pick.
Designer Rahul Mishra said the turban seemed like it was made of kota silk from Rajasthan, with a silver zari border. “It’s an ultra-lightweight fabric and a style that connects with the masses. Pink proclaims a new beginning and, more importantly, inclusion and acceptance. On such a special day, his choice of turban was a great fit.”
Designer Suneet Varma voiced a similar thought. “I feel he picked his clothes carefully. Pink is the colour of festivity, of celebration and joy. It marks India’s strength, marching forward into the future. The turban is symbolic of pride, and a sign of homage and respect for the guest of honour – the crown prince of Abu Dhabi – who also wore his royal headdress,” he said.
For designer Ritu Beri, the look added colour to the special day. “I am a big fan of PM Modi’s dress sense: He has brought interesting hues to Indian menswear. Today, you see a lot more politicians following his sartorial sense. I especially liked his choice of pink turban for the parade. It really suited him, and the colour was impressively royal. In this age of khadi resurgence and minimalist fashion, his look struck the perfect chord,” she said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- One of Priyanka Chopra's Work From Home looks garnered more attention than the rest. Her fans loved her dark copper coloured formal blouse which she accessorised with statement gold jewellery.
- For a recent photoshoot, Alaya F donned a gorgeous abstract print co-ord set and looked absolutely breathtaking in it. The actor added her own touch to the outfit by the way she styled it, we are taking notes.
- Silver kaliras and an off-white lehenga is what fashion designer Natasha Dalal opted to wear on her wedding day. The groom Varun Dhawan also twinned with his childhood sweetheart and wore a sherwani in the same colour. The couple of the hour looked like royalty on their special day.
- Watch: Sonam Kapoor Ahuja spills the beans on her 3 favourite hair care products for the times she wants to be 'romantic' or when she opts to be 'less fancy' in this ‘Vanity Vignettes’ video
- Hina Khan recently shared a video in which the actor gave extremely useful tips for improving the hair health especially during winter season. Get ready with your notepads and pen.
- After a short hiatus from social media, Bella Hadid made a return and penned a heartfelt note about mental health. "I am only here to be an instrument of peace and love," it read.
- For her recent outing in Dubai, Nora Fatehi opted to wear a stunning black velvet full-sleeved dress that also featured a thigh-high slit. The actor's gown is the epitome of modern luxury.
- From nerdy minimalist look to contemporary chic, The Girl on The Train actor Kirti Kulhari serves a slew of fashionable styles that are a must-have for this year's Spring-Summer wardrobe
- The fashionista and fitness freak Sara Ali Khan has been sharing some picturesque views from the Maldives and serving us with bookmark-worthy holiday fashion. Her latest pictures in a sustainable monokini are no different.
- From sunshiny suit that leaves one day dreaming to silk maxi dress that looks perfect for hot summer evenings, Priyanka Chopra Jonas has been raising the sartorial bar in her own sizzling style during the promotions of The White Tiger and the fashionista in us is inspired
- Looking for an impactful yet comfortable occasion wear? Check out Kajol’s luxe boho look in Netflix release Tribhanga, donning a multicoloured chiffon cape with sleeves, to channel the modern global woman vibe while staying true to the heritage