Don’t wait to lift weights ladies: Here’s why strength-training is important for women
Who says women should steer away from weights? If you love to stay fit, here’s an expert take on why your gym routine needs an overhaul.fitness Updated: May 11, 2017 20:18 IST
Ladies, do you think you only deserve to sweat it out on the treadmill? Do your friends tell you weight lifting is not for girls? Well, we disagree, and so do experts.
Manmeet Manchanda, a trainer from Anytime Fitness gym, says, “Lot has been said about women hitting the gym. It has been always a belief that cardio exercises are meant for women and strength training exercises, for men. The times have changed, and now, there are a lot of women who are joining the gym and pushing themselves daily to do a hardcore workout. They involve themselves in strength training which is very beneficial. But, there are still many who need to be educated about it.”
Just two strength-training sessions a week can help women. According to Manchanda, the benefits are:
1. Maintaining muscles: Studies show that between the age of 30 and 70, women lose an average of 22% of their total muscle weight. Body strengthening workout for 30 minutes, once in a week, and cardio exercise for three to four days can help make muscles stronger.
2. Healthy heart: Weight lifting controls low blood pressure since blood pressure goes up during and immediately after your strength session.
3. Stronger bones: Lifting weights is the best defence against weak bones. While lifting weights, muscles pull on the tendons which, in turn, pull on the bones. This process makes bones stronger. It also reduces the risk of Osteoporosis (When the bones become weak and fragile from loss of tissues due to hormonal changes, or deficiency of Calcium or Vitamin D.)
4. A mighty mind:Building muscles also strengthens the brain and cognitive activities. Also, this training sculpts lean muscles and energises the whole body.
5. Burn more calories: Cardio workouts burn calories, but, lifting weights burn even more. This training helps boost metabolism and makes the body a more efficient, fat-burning machine.
So, ladies, get your shoes on and start working out!
First Published: May 11, 2017 20:17 IST