3 men framed in false ‘love jihad’ case: Cops
Two days after a case was lodged against three Muslim men for allegedly intimidating a 24-year-old married woman in Bareilly district of Uttar Pradesh to convert her religion, the police on Sunday said the men had been framed and it had begun proceedings to overturn the case.
A first information report (FIR) accusing the men of intimidation and threatening the woman to convert her religion had been lodged at Faridpur police station of Bareilly on December 31. The FIR was lodged on a complaint by the woman’s maternal uncle.
The three Muslim men had been booked under the controversial Uttar Pradesh Prohibition of Unlawful Conversion of Religion Ordinance, 2020 and sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC)
“According to the complainant, on December 1 last year, when the girl was returning home from college, one Abrar, along with his cousins Maisur and Irshad, tried to forcibly convert her religion and threatened her for marriage,” said Bareilly’s senior superintendent of police (SSP) Rohit Singh Sajwan.
Preliminary investigation by the police found that the claim was false.
“We came to know that the accused were not present at the crime spot at the time of the incident as mentioned in the complaint. It was further corroborated by the mobile phone location of the accused,” said the SSP, adding that the complaint seems to have been lodged because of a personal grudge.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A meeting of cops and village watchmen was held at the Soraon police station on Wednesday in this regard.
- The budget session of UP legislature began on February 18 and was scheduled to end with the passing of the budget on March 10.
- Jayant called upon farmers to show their unity to the government, which he alleged was trying to “disgrace and defame” the movement against the farm laws.
- An excise department official said that besides checking suspicious dhabas along the highways, the stock available at excise shops will be verified in the drive against illicit liquor trade.
- The Muslim population in UP is 17-19%, but their share in the benefits of welfare schemes is 30-35%,” claimed the chief minister.
- The girl’s body has been sent for a post-mortem examination and the report is awaited.
- IndiGo said the passenger could not be revived and was declared dead on arrival by the airport medical team