‘A maestro of football’: PM Modi condoles death of legendary Argentine footballer Maradona
Prime minister Narendra Modi on Thursday condoled the death of Argentine football legend Diego Maradona. In a tweet, PM Modi wrote, “Diego Maradona was a maestro of football, who enjoyed global popularity. Throughout his career, he gave us some of the best sporting moments on the football field. His untimely demise has saddened us all. May his soul rest in peace.”
Several politicians have shared condolence messages upon hearing the news of demise of the man who in 1986 took the Argentinian team to new heights by winning the World Cup final in Mexico. It was also the same World Cup tournament where he scored a 51st minute goal against England in the quarter finals which later came to be known as the ‘Hand of God’ goal. He also scored the second goal in the match which ended England’s 1986 World Cup campaign. The second goal, where he beat six English defenders, was later named it the “Goal of the Century” by FIFA.
Maradona after the match had famously said, “(I scored) a little with the head of Maradona and a little with the hand of God.”
Union minister Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday also took to Twitter to express his grief upon hearing the news of Diego Armando Maradona’s death. He wrote, “There will be no another Maradona born again. He is the first Football Superstar we saw live on television. I couldn’t see the live game of great Pele and mesmerizing Garrincha playing but I’m extremely lucky to see the live magic of MARADONA! RIP “God of Football”.
Goa minister Michael Lobo said that he will install a statue of Diego Maradona in the coastal belt of North district to inspire young footballers and students. Lobo told ANI, “I, not the Goa government, will install the statue of Diego Maradona in the coastal belt of North district to inspire Goan youth.”
Maradona died due to a cardiac arrest in his residence at Buenos Aires. He was 60 year old at the time of his passing. Despite being a prolific football player, he struggled with drug abuse and obesity issues.
Maradona fame reached its zenith for his World Cup performances but football fans in Italy and across the world also remember him for his performances while playing for Italian first division side Napoli, where he transformed the club and led them to two Serie A titles.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The situation in the Ladakh sector remains tense and the ongoing military and diplomatic dialogue has not yielded results.
- A school teacher said more than 200 cows destroyed the kitchen garden and at least 100 plants of flowers, fruits and medicinal plant in the school premises.
- The circular said that all officers and personnel as well as CAPF and any other force deployed for the Republic Day Parade security arrangements should be made aware and be prepared that they will be required for law and order arrangements immediately after the official celebration is over.
- Delhi traffic police requested road users to accordingly plan their journies and avoid the route of parade and tableaux, from 4 am to 12:30 pm for their own convenience.
- According to the FIR registered by the police, the estimated value of the tiger skin that was seized is ₹40 lakh in the international market.
- One CA was arrested on Saturday along with four businessmen in Jaipur for operating 25 fake firms to fraudulently avail and pass on input tax credit.
- While addressing a press conference, Congress General Secretary Ajay Maken demanded an explanation of how exactly has the government spent ₹20 lakh crore that it "collected by multiple hikes in excise duty on both petrol and diesel" in last six years.
- The girl claims that the college has withheld her diploma certificate for non-payment of dues.