...
...
Next Story

Chabahar port plan gets big boost as govt hikes outlay

The budget for the external affairs ministry, unveiled on Saturday, shows the allocation for the port on the Gulf of Oman in southeastern Iran has gone up from Rs 45 crore in fiscal 2019-20 to Rs 100 crore in fiscal 2020-21.

Published on: Feb 4, 2020, 00:16:38 IST
Hindustan Times, New Delhi | By
Prefer HTon Google
Advertisement

India’s decision to more than double the outlay for developing the strategic Chabahar port in Iran in fiscal 2020-21 signals the government’s determination to push ahead with the project after a clear signal from the US that it won’t be affected by sanctions.

A warships sails in the Sea of Oman. (Reuters)
A warships sails in the Sea of Oman. (Reuters)

The budget for the external affairs ministry, unveiled on Saturday, shows the allocation for the port on the Gulf of Oman in southeastern Iran has gone up from Rs 45 crore in fiscal 2019-20 to Rs 100 crore in fiscal 2020-21. However, the official figures showed even the allocation of Rs 45 crore was not expended.

People familiar with developments said this was largely due to the reluctance of Indian and foreign firms to get involved in the development of Chabahar due to the potential impact of US sanctions imposed on Iran in 2018. The Centre had set aside funds to acquire cranes and other heavy equipment but firms did not bid for contracts, the people said.

During the India-US 2+2 meeting of the foreign and defence ministers of the two countries in Washington in December, the American side reiterated that the sanctions wouldn’t affect Chabahar, which India sees as key to bypassing Pakistan to access markets in Afghanistan and Central Asia. After the meeting, external affairs minister S Jaishankar had thanked his American counterpart Mike Pompeo for reiterating the US government’s support for the project.

This decision came in the wake of New Delhi and Tehran concluding that they had achieved the political objectives behind developing Chabahar.

Former ambassador Talmiz Ahmad, who has wide experience of serving in West Asia, said only international firms had the expertise to properly develop Chabahar but they had been reluctant to get associated with the project because of the US sanctions. “You need world-standard facilities such as cranes and warehouses. There was no response to tenders, mainly because of the fears of secondary sanctions. Now, with the US commitment, there is a feeling of renewed confidence in New Delhi that we will be able to attract international bidders and this is reflected in the increased outlay,” he said.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Rezaul H Laskar

Rezaul Hasan Laskar is Foreign Editor with the Hindustan Times, which he joined in 2015. He began as a journalist in his hometown of Shillong in northeast India and has worked in newspapers and wire services over the years. He moved to New Delhi in 1997 and initially focused on defence, national security, Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast, while also working of foreign policy and international relations. He has been part of the media delegation accompanying PMs on foreign visits and has reported from destinations ranging from Tibet to Ukraine. Between 2007 and 2013, he was the Press Trust of India correspondent in Pakistan, one of only two Indian journalists allowed to report from the country. He extensively covered Pakistan’s domestic politics and the life of the common people, as well as the fallout of the 2008 Mumbai attacks on India-Pakistan relations and the subsequent trial in Pakistan of the suspects involved in the attack. As part of his reportage in Pakistan, he travelled the breadth of the country, from the Swat Valley to Balochistan. Reza’s first gig in journalism was writing a weekly music column, and music – especially classic rock – remains a keen interest. He is also a movie buff and a keen photographer.

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe