Family members of Arnab Goswami meet Assam CM, Sonowal speaks to Uddhav Thackeray
Family members of Arnab Goswami, who got bail on November 11 in an abetment to suicide case after being in judicial custody for a week, have approached Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal asking him to look into Goswami’s security. Arnab Goswami hails from Assam’s Guwahati. Sonowal on Wednesday spoke to Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray who assured the Assam chief minister of Goswami’s security. Goswami was lodged in the Taloja prison in Navi Mumbai. His family members claimed his life was under threat. As he was shifted from Alibag jail’s Covid-19 centre to Tiloja jail for allegedly using a mobile phone on Sunday, the 47-year-old journalist also claimed life threats. He said he was being assaulted by police. During his arrest on November 4 from his Lower Parel house, he complained of physical arrest. But an FIR was filed against Goswami and his family members for trying to stop police.
On Wednesday afternoon, following a hearing that extended for hours, the apex court granted him bail in the 2018 case where designer Anvay Naik named him and two others for non-payment of crores, which allegedly led him to end his life. His mother also dies of suicide. Though the case was closed in 2019, it was reopened by an order of Maharashtra home minister.
Uddhav Thackeray has assured Sonowal of Goswami’s security, the Assam CM tweeted before Goswami got bail.
“Talked to Maharashtra CM Shri Uddhav Thackeray ji and requested him for adequate security arrangements for renowned journalist Arnab Goswami. I talked to him as Mr. Goswami’s family members approached me and intimated that there is not enough security provided to him,” Sonowal tweeted.
A few days ago, Maharashtra governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari urged home minister to allow Goswami’s family members to see him. “The Governor also asked the Home Minister to allow the family of Arnab Goswami to see him and to speak to him. The Governor had earlier conveyed his concern over the manner of arrest of Arnab Goswami to the State Home Minister,” a Raj Bhavan release said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Under the Trekking Traction Homestay Scheme, villages near important and popular trekking routes are being developed by the tourism department as trekking clusters.
- Congress leaders accused the police of using force to create a nuisance during a peaceful protest of farmers and Congress workers.
- Taking a cue from Prime Minister Narendra Modi calling Uttarakhand the Sainya Dham - fifth dham after the traditional Char Dhams -- Rawat in 2019 had announced that the state government will set up a Sainya Dham in Dehradun.
- A police team has been deployed in the village to ward off any fresh trouble. The police have also initiated an investigation to nab all the accused.
- Some leaders and political experts even described Modi’s visit as an exercise to woo Bengali voters on whom Bose’s ideology has great influence even after 76 years of his mysterious disappearance.
- With the scheme, nearly 5 million CAPF personnel and their families can avail cashless medical treatment.