...
...
Next Story

Foreign secretary Vinay Kwatra gets 6-month extension, will continue till October

Vinay Kwatra, who took over as foreign secretary on May 1, 2022, was earlier given an extension in November 2022 so that he could have a fixed term of two years

Published on: Mar 12, 2024, 20:57:26 IST
Advertisement

NEW DELHI: Foreign secretary Vinay Kwatra was on Tuesday given a second extension in service by the government and is now set to continue in the post for six more months till October 2024.

IMAGE via @raisinadialogue: Foreign Secretary Vinay Mohan Kwatra (PTI)
IMAGE via @raisinadialogue: Foreign Secretary Vinay Mohan Kwatra (PTI)

A notification from the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) said Kwatra, who was set to complete his extended tenure on April 30 this year, will remain in service for six more months till October 31 “or until further orders”.

Kwatra, who took over as foreign secretary on May 1, 2022, was earlier given an extension in November 2022 so that he could have a fixed term of two years.

He has played a crucial role in the government’s response to several key issues, including the Ukraine crisis and the standoff with China on the Line of Actual Control (LAC), as well as India’s G20 presidency in 2023.

There had been considerable speculation in diplomatic circles in recent weeks as to whether Kwatra would be given an extension in service or an ambassadorial appointment in a key Western capital.

Another IFS officer whose name did the rounds for the post of foreign secretary is Pavan Kapoor, the previous ambassador to Russia who was appointed the new secretary (West) in the external affairs ministry last month, the people said.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Rezaul H Laskar

Rezaul Hasan Laskar is Foreign Editor with the Hindustan Times, which he joined in 2015. He began as a journalist in his hometown of Shillong in northeast India and has worked in newspapers and wire services over the years. He moved to New Delhi in 1997 and initially focused on defence, national security, Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast, while also working of foreign policy and international relations. He has been part of the media delegation accompanying PMs on foreign visits and has reported from destinations ranging from Tibet to Ukraine. Between 2007 and 2013, he was the Press Trust of India correspondent in Pakistan, one of only two Indian journalists allowed to report from the country. He extensively covered Pakistan’s domestic politics and the life of the common people, as well as the fallout of the 2008 Mumbai attacks on India-Pakistan relations and the subsequent trial in Pakistan of the suspects involved in the attack. As part of his reportage in Pakistan, he travelled the breadth of the country, from the Swat Valley to Balochistan. Reza’s first gig in journalism was writing a weekly music column, and music – especially classic rock – remains a keen interest. He is also a movie buff and a keen photographer.

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe