GHMC election results 2020: AIMIM candidates win in Mehdipatnam and Dabeerpura divisions
The All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) registered its first wins in the counting of votes for Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) elections 2020 on Friday.
While AIMIM candidate and former mayor of Hyderabad Majid Hussain won in Mehdipatnam division, Hussain Khan emerged victorious in the Dabeerpura division.
In the last GHMC election, the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) won in 99 wards. The AIMIM bagged 44, with the remaining seven wards won by other parties and independents.
Counting of votes in the keenly-fought GHMC elections began in Hyderabad at 8 am on Friday.
The Telangana State Election Commission (SEC) has set up counting centres at 30 places in the city amid tight security arrangements for the process.
Out of the total 150 wards in the GHMC, polling was held for 149 wards on December 1 anda fresh poll was conducted on Thursday in one ward (Old Malakpet).
The mayor’s post is reserved for a woman this time. The elections were conducted with ballot papers in view of the Covid-19 pandemic. Out of the 74.67 lakh voters, only 46.55 per cent exercised their franchise using ballot paper method.
In the Hyderabad city commissionerate, 817 new polling stations have been set up as compared to 2016. There are 2,146 normal polling stations, 1,517 sensitive polling stations, and 167 hypersensitive polling stations.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The petition demanded an immediate ban on further screening of the web series and sought directions from the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to set up a pre-screening committee for censoring content of similar web series, movies or other programmes release on OTT platforms.
- Uttarakhand at present has over 92,000 doses of Covishield vaccine, after a second consignment was received by the state on Wednesday afternoon. The state received the first consignment of 1.13 lakh vaccines on January 13.
- The plea before the court was made by BJP councillor Prabhakar Tukaram Shinde, who is currently the Group Leader of the BJP in MCGM.
- BJP state unit general secretary Ashwani Tyagi said the party’s national chief reviewed the working of the ministers. He applauded the state government and CM Yogi Adityanath for providing momentum to development work amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Anit Thapa refuted the portal's claim and claimed it was a conspiracy.
- RIMS Director Dr Kameshwar Prasad said it seems to be a case of acute pneumonia and he has been put under round-the-clock observation.