Kerala floods: CM seeks details of losses of those in relief camps, to transfer Rs 10,000 to each
At least 7,000 houses were destroyed in the floods and another 50,000 partially damaged, Kerala Chief Minister Vijayan said, adding that a total of 8.69 lakh people were still sheltered in 2,787 relief centres in the state.india Updated: Aug 24, 2018 21:43 IST
Heavy rains and unprecedented floods in Kerala this monsoon season have claimed 417 lives while 36 people are still missing, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said on Friday.
He also asked people impacted by the floods to submit details of the losses they have suffered, by logging on to the Kerala government website and provide the details.
Addressing the media here, Vijayan said that 265 deaths were reported in the torrential downpour that battered the state for over a week from August 8 while other fatalities happened since monsoon rains began on May 29, reported IANS.
At least 7,000 houses were destroyed in the floods and another 50,000 partially damaged, he said, adding that a total of 8.69 lakh people were still sheltered in 2,787 relief centres in the state.
He also announced that Rs 10,000 would be transferred into the bank account of every person in the relief centres.
Asking people to submit to the government details of the losses they have suffered, he said NGOs were going around taking pictures of the material losses on mobile apps.
Watch: Specially-abled Kerala hero saves couple from floods
With some people returning home as flood waters recede but lakhs still in relief camps, the Kerala government is now taking up the task of cleaning up after the worst disaster in the state in a century, and rehabilitating the affected.
Earlier on Friday, Vijayan had demanded Kerala should be treated on a different yardstick for extending flood relief assistance as its huge loss cannot be compared with damage in any other state at any point of time.
Giving a detailed account of the havoc caused by the devastating floods and landslides since early this month, he said the preliminary assessment of losses was around Rs 20,000 crore which was equal to the state’s annual Plan size for 2018-19, reported PTI.
In support of his stand that Kerala’s case was unique, he said the state was densely populated and the entire state had infrastructure facilities such as good roads, communication network and hospitals.
Pushing for foreign assistance, Vijayan had earlier said there was no blanket ban and India, by law, could accept financial aid voluntarily given by a foreign government in times of a severe calamity.
In his statement on Friday, the chief minister said: “It is with a thankful heart that we take note of the fact that foreign countries ranging from the UAE to Qatar have come forward with their promise of assistance.”
First Published: Aug 24, 2018 21:12 IST