One more soldier succumbs to injuries, death toll rises to 18 in Uri attack
Sepoy K Vikas Janardhan died at R&R Hospital in New Delhi while undergoing treatment.Updated: Sep 19, 2016 16:04 IST
One more soldier succumbed to injuries on Monday taking the death toll in the Uri army base terrorist attack to 18, army said.
Sepoy K Vikas Janardhan died at R&R Hospital in New Delhi while undergoing treatment.
Janardhan hails from Purad village of Yavatmal district in Maharashtra. He is survived by his wife and a daughter.
Earlier in the day, minister of state for defence Subhash Bhamre had confirmed 17 soldiers died in the brazen attack, denying reports that three more had succumbed to their injuries.
Bhamre said most of the injured were suffering from severe burns and being treated in the Valley, but three soldiers were brought to the RR Army Hospital in New Delhi, ANI reported
Heavily armed militants attacked the Uri army base on Sunday, triggering calls for a swift retaliation that could squeeze the space for any détente between India and Pakistan.
The dawn raid surprised soldiers in their sleep as attackers lobbed grenades and set fire to a building.
The blaze killed 12 troopers and the rest died in gunfight, sources added.
Soldiers killed four “fidayeen” - or commando-style gunmen willing to fight to death – after an hours-long gun battle to end what was the worst single attack on the army in years. More than 20 soldiers were wounded, some of them seriously.
With inputs from PTI and ANI