Fight against coronavirus an example Atmanirbhar India: Harsh Vardhan
Union minister for science and technology, earth sciences, and health and family welfare Harsh Vardhan said on Monday , “The fight against the coronavirus pandemic is an example of India’s self-reliance. He also praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his leadership during the pandemic. “India is in top 10 positions in most indicators because of the vision of Prime Minister Modi,” he said.
Vardhan made the comments during the curtain-raiser press conference of the sixth India International Science Festival-2020 (IISF 2020). IISF 2020 will be organised virtually from December 22, which falls on the birthday of world-renowned Indian mathematician Srinivas Ramanujam, and will culminate on December 25, the birthday of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. It will be the largest science festival to be held on the virtual platform. The central theme of this year’s festival is “Science for Self-reliant India and Global Welfare”.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver the inaugural address at IISF 2020 on Tuesday evening through video conferencing. Harsh Vardhan will also be present on the occasion.
Shekhar C Mande secretary of DSIR and director general of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) has said IISF’s objective is to induce the person about different facets of science and technology. Launched in 2015, IISF is a celebration to promote science and technology and the goal of this year’s festival is to help youth develop 21st-century skills, with a focus on scientific knowledge, creativity, critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork. A long-term objective is to encourage students to study and work in scientific fields, the government has said.
The nodal institution for the IISF 2020 is CSIR-NISTADS. The festival is jointly organised by the department of science and technology (DST), CSIR, ministry of earth sciences, ministry of health and family welfare and the department of biotechnology (DBT) and VijnanaBharati (VIBHA) as well as with the support of a large number of other organisations.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Giving two weeks to the government to come back with its response, the bench then formally recorded in its order that one of the issues that has caught its attention is “uncontrolled and unscreened viewing of films” on Amazon Prime Video and other OTT platforms.
- The roughly 20,000 centres being used for the vaccine drive at the moment are hospitals, private as well as public, while many primary and secondary health centres at present are kept out of the programme.
- The external affairs ministry, which too rejected Freedom House’s report, also took exception to the depiction of Jammu and Kashmir in the map used in the document.
- A home ministry spokesperson said these rules prepared by the Foreigners’ Division were part of a brochure issued on November 15, 2019. The rules were consolidated and notified on Thursday.
- After the allegations on Jarkiholi, there were unverified reports of several similar videos and other sex scandals against other cabinet ministers.
- India is a signatory to the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- On the other hand, the DMK’s stalemate continued with its main and long standing ally, the Congress, on seat sharing.
- The person said it was imperative that the photographs are removed from certificates distributed in the poll bound states, adding that the system can continue in other states.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, former President Pratibha Patil, economist Amartya Sen, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, spiritual leader Baba Ramdev, chief ministers of states and senior political leaders are among those included in the panel.
- According to Indian agencies, the JeI has maintained that J&K is a disputed territory.
- Interestingly, the election of the six YSRC members comes at a time when a resolution adopted by the Jagan Mohan Reddy government in the state assembly in January 2020, seeking abolition of the legislative council, is still pending with the Union home ministry.
- When the matter came up before a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy on Friday, the bench adjourned it to April 7 as it had no time for a full fledged hearing.
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also held a review meeting on Friday to discuss with the divisional commissioners the steps being taken to contain the spread of the infection.
- There is a cost difference of about 25-30 per cent in containers made in India and abroad.
- After an agreement last month on pulling back frontline troops along with armoured vehicles and artillery from strategic heights around Pangong Lake, the two sides have been unable to make progress on disengagement at other friction points such as Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra.