3 more die in Kashmir Valley
On a day when three protesters were killed in clashes between security forces and stone-throwers in curfew-bound Kashmir, moderate separatist leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said certain “agencies” were out to “sabotage” their movement.india Updated: Sep 18, 2010 00:59 IST
On a day when three protesters were killed in clashes between security forces and stone-throwers in curfew-bound Kashmir, moderate separatist leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said certain “agencies” were out to “sabotage” their movement.
Reiterating his appeal to people not to resort to violence, the Hurriyat leader said in a press statement, “Different agencies are functioning to sabotage the present movement. Agencies are setting ablaze government offices and missionary schools. Our movement is for a just and noble cause hence there is no scope for any kind of violence in it.”
He urged the youth “not to allow saboteurs to succeed in their designs”. Before the Mirwaiz issued his statement, one person, Fayez Ahmad Dar, was killed in central Kashmir’s Budgam district in a forenoon clash on Friday.
He was among protesters hurling rocks at a convoy of the army’s Rashtriya Rifles and stopped its movement. “Miscreants resorted to heavy stone-throwing on a security forces’ patrolling party at Churpora village in Budgam.
In the retaliatory action, four persons sustained injuries and one succumbed to his injuries later,” said a police spokesperson.
In Pattan town of Baramulla district, 35 km north of Srinagar, another man, Ghulam Rasool Bhat, who was part of a mob throwing stones at security forces was injured after the forces opened fire and died in hospital later.
The police did not disclose any details of the man’s age or the kind of weapons used to control the mob. Local residents and hospital sources said Bhat died of bullet injuries.
In Shirmal village in Shopian district, 55 km south of Kashmir, a mob set on fire three Forest Protection Force huts. “The security forces used a non-lethal weapon to prevent the fire. Three persons were injured,” said a police spokesman. One of those injured, Imtiaz Ahmad Malla, succumbed to his injuries, he said.
With the three deaths on Friday, the number of people killed in action by the security forces in the current phase of unrest in Kashmir since June 11 shot up to 93.
Friday’s deaths took place after two-day lull in the Valley, which has been under curfew for the past six days.
Geelani U-turn on march plan
Hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Friday withdrew his call to march towards army establishments in Kashmir on Tuesday and then renewed the call.
Talking to a Delhi-based news channel, Hurriyat spokesperson Ayaz Akbar said, “We will send a petition on the Internet to the army instead of conducting any march. The memorandum will ask the army to leave Kashmir.” Hours later, Geelani said, “There is no change in the protest calendar so far. The programme given for September 21 stands as of now.” The army had on Thursday appealed to people not to pay any heed to the Hurriyat call to approach their camps and embroil it in the current situation. HTC & PTI
First Published: Sep 17, 2010 12:17 IST