One dies after eating mushroom dish in Jammu
One person died Sunday and two others are battling for life in a Jammu and Kashmir village after eating a mushroom dish Saturday evening.india Updated: Jul 27, 2014 15:08 IST
One person died Sunday and two others are battling for life in a Jammu and Kashmir village after eating a mushroom dish Saturday evening.
Police said three members of a family in Prori village of Rajouri district took ill Saturday evening after they broke their day's fast during the holy month of Ramadan with a dish of mushrooms.
"The family members started vomiting immediately after eating the mushrooms. Relatives rushed the three to a hospital in Rajouri town where doctors said one person had been brought dead," a senior police officer told IANS.
"Two others are still in a critical condition and have been shifted to the Government Medical College and Hospital in Jammu for specialised treatment," he added.
It was being ascertained whether the family bought the mushrooms from a market or picked those from the nearby forest. Mushrooms are cultivated in Jammu and Kashmir, but many villagers pick the wild varieties that grow in humus rich soils in the forest under dense tree cover. Some varieties are poisonous.
First Published: Jul 27, 2014 15:05 IST