Lok Sabha elections 2019: 23 candidates in fray in Jamshedpur, 3 booths shifted to Maoist areas
A proposal to shift three booths in Maoist-dominated Ghatsila sub-division was also being sent to Election Commission of India (ECI), top district officials said.Updated: Apr 27, 2019 15:09 IST
With the withdrawal of nomination process which ended today, a total of 23 candidates remained in the fray for the Jamshedpur Lok Sabha seat that will go to polls on May 23.
One candidate, Surendra Kumar Pandey, withdrew his nomination today, said Amit Kumar, East Singhbhum deputy commissioner (DC) cum district election officer.
A proposal to shift three booths in Maoist-dominated Ghatsila sub-division was also being sent to Election Commission of India (ECI), top district officials said.
This meant the administration would now require double balloting units as the number of candidates in the final fray were now 23. A single balloting unit can accommodate 15 candidates and the second balloting unit will now have the names of other eight candidates. The DC also informed that 609 additional EVMs have reached here from Giridih today.
Kumar said they were sending a proposal to the ECI for shifting a booth in Ghatsila and two booths in Potka block for security reason. “We are sending proposal to shift booth in Basadera upgraded middle school to Khirganj in Ghatisla, which is 4 kms away. The booth in Satbarsa upgraded middle school needs to be shifted to Nuniya in Potka, again 4 kms away while booth in Kasbera needs to be shifted to primary school in Kolabira, one and half km away,” the DC said.
Jamshedpur senior superintendent of police (SSP), Anoop Birthare, said these booths needed to be shifted due to security reasons in the face of Maoist ambush.
“Anyway the situation is much improved this time as seven booths were shifted during the elections in 2014. Central para-military forces (CPMF) will be deployed in all 225 sensitive booths in 160 buildings in Maoist dominated areas. Candidates have also been asked to inform in advance if they venture into Maoist-hit areas,” said Birthare.
The SSP said Rs 49 lakh seized so far under model code of conduct from various parts of the district. He said JMM candidate Champai Soren’s son Babulal Soren would be arrested soon. Bbaulal had ran away without getting his vehicle checked at Jadugora check-post after scuffle with police last week. “We have cancelled 57 gun licenses and cancellation proposal for another 50 guns is being sent to the DC while 910 guns have been submitted,” added SSP.
Candidates were told today in a meeting in the presence of expenditure observer that they would have to submit their expenditure details on April 30, May 5 and May 9.
If they fail then permission for their vehicle and programmes will be withdrawn.
First Published: Apr 27, 2019 15:09 IST